What did you do to prepare today?
Kink

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#171 Post by Kink » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:27 pm

Merry Christmas all! :D

Kink

#172 Post by Kink » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:39 pm

That's sweet Andy, glad you got to talk to them for so long :). They'll come around to the GSM Idea once it becomes more noticeable in the weather anomalies.

Got the third wood crib built and stocked yesterday though, 4th is coming soon! Realized I have a bench grinder... and shined up the axe to practically brand new shape and it now has a razor sharp edge, going to hit it with a mil file and make it even sharper then polish her up later today. Have been trying to sell stuff so i can afford to build a Quantum Board, got the heatsinks already though :).

Kink

#173 Post by Kink » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:11 pm

Sounds great Andy, quantum boards are a new growing light technology, and currently the most efficient on the market. I made a thread in the Grow Grow Grow section on them, I have no doubt you would easily understand it from the brief chats we've already had together.

And right on yeah I love how fucking amazing life is, we are a combination of electricity and chemicals keeping us alive and producing memory, thoughts, etc on top of that a conscious that we can talk to ourselves while reading, and have the ability to think before we act, it's fascinating!

Sounds good on the sink, hope it's what you were looking for! Nice also on your shopping list, gives me ideas for mine.

For today I've been refreshing our water supply and cleaning up my hatchets/other axes. Looking into bigger water storage solutions like rain barrels, but instead of the grow light I think water is a higher priority so going to buy a R/O system instead if anyone knows any good ones/has suggestions? :D

Kink

#174 Post by Kink » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:16 pm

The main reason I want R/O is due to the fact our water is absolutely not drinkable, got a letter the other day informing us that our water has not been tested in years and that there are a few cleaning chemical contaminants that shouldn't be there (on top of the salt corroding everything) So I buy bottled and that costs a good bit of money, despite bottled even being bad because of the Xenoestrogens, some companies recycling the water supply, etc. More or less looking for convenience that the R/O would bring, and also so I can start storing water and it not be tap, so wasting water may be the least of my worries atm.

I'm reading about gravity filters now, would that be on the right track for the berkey filters? So many variables like the faucet/piping containing lead, flouride, etc that I have a hard time believing this can filter but I need to look more into it.

Very good point about liquidating, that's exactly what I've been doing, it's hard to let go of a lot of what I have but it will be useless soon enough. On the flip side of the same coin though, some things are definitely worth holding onto and not selling right now, like old clothes that are a size too small/too big, these will come in handy for layers or making your own clothes. Another thing people don't consider is how useless currency or even gold/silver can become in a SHTF situation. The bosnian war is a good event to draw tips/guidance from. The money became useless and bullets/cigs became the new currency

glad to hear you're always in the library I love that :ugeek:

Kink

#175 Post by Kink » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:14 am

Andy F wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:05 am
Hey Kink,
I headed over to YT. This guy has some better ideas than I had for the fill tank part. Check it out -
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BERKEY STYLE WATER PURIFIER https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjGxUAOrkrM
Sweet thanks I'll check it out right now, a DIY of this is exactly what I need as just checked the pricing on the Big Berkey + filters and that's just simply not an option. :oops:

Kink

#176 Post by Kink » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:43 am

So using that vid for reference, this would be my shopping list:
  • 2x 16 Quart Cooking Pots OR $43.98 2x 5 gallon BPA Free Food Grade Buckets | $9.96
    2x 5 gallon Bucket Lids | $4.98
    2x Berkey Berkey BB9-2 Replacement Black Purification Elements | $75
    Double Sided Tape | $2.98
    Berkey Replacement Spigot for Stainless Steel Units | $12.91
    2 Berkey K5366 Pf-2 Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Filters | $41
Total: 175.87 OR $146.83 w/ Buckets

Pretty amazing, the price of the R/O system I wanted was $170 but its replacement filters were $61. Just looked and these black filters also cover lead/metals too now I just need to figure out how to filter out fluoride and I'd be set :D

Update:
The black Berkey filters don't remove fluoride from the water, so you'll need to buy a pair of the optional fluoride/arsenic filters. This isn't included in the video, but it's simple to add them. They just screw on to the bottom of the black filters and then hang down into the bottom bucket.
Easy enough, added 2 white ceramic filters to the list/total above. Added buckets to the list which I'll likely use to cut the price down by a lot, back down to $147 with a set of the black and white filters.
Last edited by Kink on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kink

#177 Post by Kink » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:18 am

Okay thank you, I'm going to private message you the black/white filters so I don't have to post them here in fear of them getting bought out before I can start ordering parts. Red 3M High doubled sided it is, I'll look into the stainless spigot, thing is with these projects it's really easy to stray away from keeping it simple, stupid especially when you're in such a tight money spot like I am. $170 may even be too high, we'll have to see what moneys like in a week when I get paid.

dirtmurphy

#178 Post by dirtmurphy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:25 pm

This is the filtration system I use. You don't need two separate filters. It actually filters out everything that the Berkey does with the addition of an extra form of fluoride. I'm not sure if the Berkey also filters out microplastics but Propur does. Here is the link.
https://www.propurusa.com
If you scroll to the bottom of their home page, you can click on links to independent lab results and articles detailing where these microplastics are found in water.
Because you don't have to buy two filters, I have found that Propur replacement filters are less expensive than Berkey.

Kink

#179 Post by Kink » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:39 pm

Just got done using the rest of my sealer bags to seal a few OZ of peppermint tea, lentils, noodles, etc. Slowly working on the fishing pole storage setup from time to time. Got the bike out and have been riding every night building my endurance/stamina back up again, riding on these keystone hills will get your calf muscles rock solid in no time. Just chopping firewood and basic calisthenics has slowly gotten me built and in the best shape of my life :).

Same Andy, I really hope Elew is okay. I will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers wherever you are. Hope all is okay.

Kink

#180 Post by Kink » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks andy, that's why I like the picture ha it's perfect. I couldn't tell you what any of what those parts are/do but I could say electrical lol but glad to hear you're keeping busy.

As far as fishing supplies go, I'm still a novice but I did learn from the best. Grandpa would always end up catching more than he could carry home :mrgreen:. As with a lot of things, it's better to K.I.S.S here. Also this write up is for fresh water fishing.
I recommend spinning rods/reels over casting as they are just easier/more comfortable to use for most, especially those just getting started.

Reels, sorted from cheapest to priciest that I use:
  • Shakespeare Ultra 2500ULX, good beginner reel, can find it for less than $15 on ebay typically.
    Shimano AX2000FA, great beginner reel, can usually pick this up on ebay for around $15 inc shipping.
    Shimano Sienna 2500FD, Intermediate reel, a good price for this is less than $30.
    Daiwa Regal-x 2500c, Intermediate reel, My personal favorite a good price is ~$40 new but $30 or less would be ideal.
Rods, sorted from cheapest to priciest that I use:
6'6"-7' medium-heavy rods are what I suggest for beginners/intermediate.
  • Fuji Daiwa Custom Design Procaster-S 6'6 PRS662MFS-B", good beginner rod, fair price would be $20 or less for a similar rod.
    Shakespeare Ugly Stik 1100 6'6", great beginner rod, good price is around $30 but I've seen ~$20.
    FIN-NOR Profiler PFL602M, 6', amazing rod - anything FIN-NOR is great, pricey if even possible to find anymore. Inshore Fin-nors around 6-7' are going for ~$25/piece or so, I've seen lots of 2 for $50.
    Daiwa Custom Design Triforce 7', fantastic brand for beginners or intermediate, should run around $30-60 but I've seen 7' mediums going for $25 or less.
Misc, Fishing Line, etc:
Matching the rod's LB rating for the line is ideal, so a 6-15lb rod would use 10lb line. I like Daiwa as I prefer japanese anytime I can.
For bait I was taught for trout to use glitter salmon egg, Berkley powerbait specifically, I use the Extra Scent glitter and natural scent glitter, you can try the non glitter and see how it works for you but for trout this is what my grandpa swore by and I'd watch him fill up buckets/hit the catch limit in hours.
For lures, I suggest soft bait (worm/minnow lures- Berkely Gulp 1" minnows, mister twisters), for bass I recommend hard bait (jigs/crankbait). Again glitter comes in handy here, anything that will sparkle and catch their eye. In pond fishing the lighter the tackle the better or you'll scare the fish, pond fishing teaches you patience that bigger bodies of water otherwise would not reward you for.