Dehydrator & etc Recipes, Meals in a Bag or Jar

Kink

Re: Dehydrator & etc Recipes, Meals in a Bag or Jar

#1 Post by Kink » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:02 pm

Started this thanks to this thread of yours, can't wait to try the Cowboy casserole :D

Farside

Sunchokes even my kids will eat

#2 Post by Farside » Tue May 21, 2019 12:16 pm

I've been growing Jerusalem artichokes / sunchokes for a few years mainly as a visual barrier around the compost pile largely because nobody in my family likes the taste (the remind me of the smell when you open up an ant nest).

But the other week my wife brought home a thing from the thrift store that allows you to make chips in the microwave. It works too, but the chips are incredibly thin, so we used a mandolin on a thicker setting to slice the chips and it takes longer to cook naturally, and the chips turned out not exactly crispy.

I started experimenting with making sunchoke chips with this thing and found that if I put them in the dehydrator after cooking them in the microwave then they turn out perfectly crispy, and everyone eats them. Their favorite is simply lightly salted before cooking.

I ate a bunch and there was also no farty effect that sunchokes are notorious for. Win win!

Farside

#3 Post by Farside » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Last year I grew a lot of kale and my family doesn't eat a lot of kale so I had lots of complaints. This year I'm still going to grow lots of kale, but this time I'll dehydrate it and turn it into a powder that can be added to stews and soups. I'll do the same with swiss chard because my family thinks it tastes like dirt, and to be fair I tend to agree :-)

Farside

#4 Post by Farside » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:00 am

Farside wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:43 pm
Last year I grew a lot of kale and my family doesn't eat a lot of kale so I had lots of complaints. This year I'm still going to grow lots of kale, but this time I'll dehydrate it and turn it into a powder that can be added to stews and soups. I'll do the same with swiss chard because my family thinks it tastes like dirt, and to be fair I tend to agree :-)
I harvested the first cut this past week. In all about a shopping bag full. Once it was dried and blended into a powder, it makes up about 1 1/2 cups. If I can fill a quart mason jar before the season is done I'll be pretty pleased.

AnimalDoc

#5 Post by AnimalDoc » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:40 pm

Andy F wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:27 pm
Next week's projects, Hardtack and dehydrating cooked beans. In a grid down situation, using my Solar System, I'd prefer the following solution recipes for fast cooking beans. They take up same storage space as uncooked dry beans...but I will cook my own beans to my homemade recipes. Generally, I do not care for canned beans.They're blah and too high in sodium.

Can I ask how the hardtack turned out?? Seems like a decent way to store flour, if the bugs don't get to them.

-AD