What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
iceagefarmer
Site Admin

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#231 Post by iceagefarmer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:33 am

Inspired by Andy F, I started working on a spreadsheet breaking down different crops/livestock by Calorie yield per space/time required. It's informative, and I hope to shape this into a video that can spur some discussion as to how to take growing to the next level: producing a steady supply of greens is nice, and can go a long, long way in supplementing groceries or stored food, but what would it look like to grow 100% of caloric needs? Michael Kotutwa, Hopi dry farmer, can do it in what seems an impossible setting. A lot of corn, beans and melon...

Our baby is due in the next 14 days, and things have been completely insane here. I hope you are all well.

Warmly,
Christian

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#232 Post by iceagefarmer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:02 pm

Andy F wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:54 pm
Did some catching up on YT videos, I wish everyone would listen to Patriot Nurse last few YT videos, she is American Jewish & knows the history, and agrees with what I know about RU's Marxism, NeoCons are Bolshevists & Social Democrats & coming Civil War ahead here in USA. I've followed PN for a couple years now.
People can't ignore it, history repeats, and it is real.
Love PN -- she is a firecracker.

dirtmurphy

#233 Post by dirtmurphy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:24 am

Andy F, you might want to check out Martin Armstrong's work if you aren't familiar with it already. I read his blog every day. https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/
I pulled a muscle earlier this week, hobbled around for a couple of days, then got a migraine. It was hard because we had some absolutely beautiful weather. Now that I feel better, the weather is getting colder and wetter. I got quite a bit done today though. I bought lots of seeds, chicken grit, a tent, and two books: Liquid Gold: The Lore and Logic of Using Urine to Grow Plants and Natural Enemies Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Biological Pest Control. Oh, we also made more newspaper logs.

Kink

#234 Post by Kink » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:51 pm

I love Patriot nurse, actually just found her channel the other day and the first video was that anti late term abortion one.

Still haven't managed to get the chainsaw tuned 100%, issue is I can get it kicking, idling, etc. Just a PITA getting it to idle without the chain spinning but I'm getting closer each session I work on it, maybe the fuel filter is dirty or the prime line too long, etc will have to give it a go later again today. Managed to clean up the other two wood cribs and am going to try starting the next one the size as the last one. I love being out in single digits or colder weather with my immune system/asthma issues, helps a lot I've found. Gonna clean out the downstairs freezers, grandfather has a bunch of tomatoes, sheephead mushrooms, fish, etc I need to see if any are good and seal. Really need a greenhouse here son so I can grow outdoors at all.

Listening to some Miles Davis, sipping coffee and getting ready to tackle the day. Carry on Ice soldiers! :mrgreen:

dirtmurphy

#235 Post by dirtmurphy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 pm

Today I planted chickweed and garlic. I also turned compost.

dirtmurphy

#236 Post by dirtmurphy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Andy F wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:34 pm
My conclusion? I'd trust it to power my personal airplane, if I had one, with me inside it at 5-6,000 feet :mrgreen:
I'm kind of surprised you haven't started building one yet :D
Today I cleaned the chicken run and planted peas.

Kink

#237 Post by Kink » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 pm

Got the printer working and things ready to ship for tomorrow from sales, printed out all of Andy's Dehydator recipes among other things :) . Inspected the chainsaw and found that the adapter for the carburetor had a piece broken off of it, probably from when I had the entire weight of a willow tree I tried cutting down, that split and pinched the chainsaw bar down to the stump. Ordered new gaskets and carb adapter, might as well replace the fuel lines/fuel filter while I'm doing that. Gotta start researching composting as there's no way I want to grow in the current soil with moss and fungus anywhere you look in over an acre. the dirt under the hemlocks seems very fresh and worth a try. Tons of grasses on the property now, a few 4-5ft wide/6-7ft tall that I tie up in fall and usually burn for ash in the gardens. Lots to do for all us Ice Age Truth Soldier recruits :D

dirtmurphy

#238 Post by dirtmurphy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 pm

Hey Kink! So here's the deal with your soil: high acidity. So plant some blueberries to take advantage of that situation. It's easier to go with what you have than to change it. Also, since you have acidic soils, stay away from the soil under the hemlock.
To get your soils closer to what you want, I would start with lime. Do you have clay soils as well? If so, I recommend calcitic limestone over dolomitic limestone. If not, either one will work well.
Here's an article on composting from my blog https://dirtmurphy.wixsite.com/website/ ... with-Decay
I hope that helps!

Kink

#239 Post by Kink » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:52 pm

Thank you Murphy, I've had someone tell me that before and it could have even been you with how bad my memory is :lol:. I have some dolomite lime I use for potted plants and I love it for the calcium/magnesium and PH buffer, it's like oyster shell. Will have to pickup some calcitic limestone before planting time and give it a try on a couple patches. Thank you very much for your blog link too gonna bookmark. I've been dumping grass clippings into a pile for years now, I'll try starting there and see how I can better contain it maybe.

For today I'm relaxing and reading posts here, slowly cleaning up the garden shovel as it's rusted and could use it if I want it to last. Have been posting as much stuff as I can to ebay, gotta look into etsy and other sites. Have some stalks from a cannabis grow that i could use for CBD soap or something like that to sell. Buddy has been teaching me how-to DIY soap, he's been doing it for almost 10 years just don't have funds to do it the right way atm.

We need a survival infograph thread :idea:
home defense prep.jpg
home defense prep.jpg (120.82 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
underground bunker.jpg
underground bunker.jpg (176.39 KiB) Viewed 1387 times

Kink

#240 Post by Kink » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:47 pm