Hello!

This is where you introduce yourself.
tygr

Hello!

#1 Post by tygr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Hello there, my name is Tiger. I'm a 19 year old who lives in Southern California, and I'm looking to best prepare myself for the incoming cold.

For somebody who has 0 experience in the sustainability domain, I am a bit overwhelmed with all the information being shown to me so far. Is there a resource/forum post that has a "beginner's guide" of sorts?

Thanks!

Henrysmom

Re: Hello!

#2 Post by Henrysmom » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:39 pm

Hi Tiger! I too live in So Cal, and at 60 years of age and having lived here all my life,have seen weather changes that make me believe that we are indeed into a new cold weather era. That said I would very highly recommend that you start by taking a Victory Garden class series. It is a series of 4 classes on the basics of growing your own food here in So Cal. If you are anywhere near Venice I would recommend that you take the classes there. The director David King is a wealth of knowledge and loves to share. There are classes everywhere in So Cal though. I believe the website is celosangeles.ucanr.edu
I took the class 5 years ago and now grow quite a bit of my family produce even though I have a small backyard. Hope this helps!

Henrysmom

#3 Post by Henrysmom » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:26 am

Hi Tiger! I too live in So. California and know in some ways our experience is different than those on the forums who live in areas with benefits (accessible fresh water and wood for fuel) that we don’t have. But we have a longer growing season than most of the US and a rich history of agriculture in the Los Angeles area (even if it’s not well known by most who live here).

The first thing you need to work on is learning to grow some of your own food. I don’t know your situation, but even if you live in an apartment you can start growing in containers. I very strongly recommend that your first step is to take a Victory Garden class, which are part of the Grow LA Victory Garden Initiative. They are a series of 4 classes which cover the basics of growing your own food. Even though I had gardened for years I took the class a few years ago and learned a lot. They are offered at many locales all over So Cal,there will be one close to you. The cost is $55 for 4 classes, and the location I went to offered a huge discount if you brought someone else. You can find more info at celosangeles.ucanr.edu. If you are anywhere near Venice I would highly recommend the Learning Garden at Venice High School. The head of the garden is named David King and he is a fantastic teacher.
BTW I go to his monthly class held on the first Saturday of the month and learn what to expect in the garden for the upcoming month.

You might check some of the resources from the city you live in. I live in Long Beach and the city offers a nice class on composting.

Anyways that’s a start. I know the next series of classes start in March...if you are serious about growing your food you should run, don’t walk to the class. You will be inspired, reassured, and will get so much info and resources that you will find it well worth the money. HTH and good luck.

Henrysmom

#4 Post by Henrysmom » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:58 am

Sorry for the double post Tiger. I wrote the first one and didn’t see it, so red wrote it for you. Same info. Hope it helps