Grocery Store PRICE Database

Forum announcements.
Farside

Re: Grocery Store PRICE Database

#1 Post by Farside » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:40 pm

I have spent a good portion of my professional life developing systems for optimizing and forecasting promotional campaign ROI as well as providing administrative efficiencies and data quality improvements in things like this.

The cost of food the consumer pays is handy, but there is a complex pricing chain behind the scenes that influence the the final cost to consumer. For example, food price increases can be due to increases in warehouse carrying costs, rising cost of labor within the supply chain, or a mandate by the shareholders to increase profit margins. It may have nothing to do with the cost of producing the food, and the food supplier is often not the root cause of increased consumer prices which is why you often hear that farmers are getting pennies for their produce and yet prices are skyrocketing.

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#2 Post by iceagefarmer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:55 pm

Great resources -- thanks for posting Andy !

Aussie

#3 Post by Aussie » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:03 am

A recent TV ad from Aldi Australia trying to discourage people from stocking up on food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPti4o0numM

Aussie

#4 Post by Aussie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:31 pm

All the cheaper brands of rice - under 24 cents per 100 grms are gone off the shelves and only the expensive rice is left.
The prices for these has jumped as much as 10 cents per 100 grms.
The brands I normally buy in either 5 or 10 kg bags are out of stock in all stores in my town at either( 4 stores ) Woolworths or ( 2 stores) Coles.

There are no dried chick peas to be had unless I go to a little known, out of the way international grocer.
Their lines of dried legumes,spices, rice and flour were still reasonably priced so I highly recommend shopping at a international
grocer that caters to Asian and Indian community members if you're having troubles locating those items.

The oxy bleach laundry soaker I normally buy has jumped by 38 cents in 2 weeks since I brought it last.

Whole lines of products are missing from shelves and the fresh produce sections look sparse and over handled and over priced.

Almahelton

#5 Post by Almahelton » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:17 am

Good post who invented the cell phone really like it

AnimalDoc

#6 Post by AnimalDoc » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:32 pm

Another reference price:
50# "feed wheat" at the local feed store today: $12
50# whole corn at same feed store: $7.50

It will be interesting to see when & how much the price jumps!
-AD

AnimalDoc

#7 Post by AnimalDoc » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:23 pm

At a visit to Sam's club about a month ago, we found they did not have 50# of pinto beans OR 50# of long grain white rice, as they always have for many years.

50# beans back in stock a couple weeks later, though price did jump a couple of dollars. Thinking it was around $29.

-AD

AnimalDoc

#8 Post by AnimalDoc » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:51 am

That's the truth - signs are there, but you have to be looking.

I really have pity on most of them. Born into a society of followers and fluoridated to the hilt - it's a hard trap to escape.