What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Kink

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#271 Post by Kink » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:09 pm

Still cleaning up twigs/pine, etc everywhere throughout the yard. Noticed some broken branches in the hemlocks that I gotta get out before getting another windy day. Spotted the fungus has progressed rapidly on many trees near the property, in just a matter of weeks the stalk of the trees are turning a lightish green that can be seen from hundreds of feet away. My hemlocks in particular are two-faced, one side slightly normal, the other completely infected. Not much I can do about this unfortunately. Am watching the biggest hemlock facing the house start to bend though and it's probably just a matter of time before it comes crashing into the padio :lol:. Trees are going to get their revenge on me one way or another

Have a deadfall cherry to cut up and split along with 3/4ths of one that was suspended that i couldn't reach that must have fell recently that I'm going to work on today before even more rain comes this weekend. Also have to fix the wood cribs as a lot of the longer logs are getting their ends wet, just going to do 2 stakes on the left/right on each side.

Had a job offer that I'm really praying comes through as it would seriously help beyond words right now

Kink

#272 Post by Kink » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:03 pm

Cleaned the house today, posted some things to ebay and hauled a bunch of cinderblocks, cut some posts and finished the 4th wood crib's structure. Have been scavenging for intact bottles and have found 5-6 so far, also have been taking all of the valve caps off the rusted old tires since I always lose these. Also fixed the wheelbarrow since the arm broke off a while ago, ended up using sheet metal and bolts + nuts to secure it back on and it's working great so that's a relief :D.

Have some friggin energy right now - hallelujah!!, gonna make the best of it while I have it.

Glad you're going strong every day Andy, and I'm sure murphy/howard/farside and the rest are hard at work too. Keep prepping fellow Ice Age Farmer squad! :mrgreen:

Kink

#273 Post by Kink » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:06 pm

Starting to learn how to make tobacco pipes as a hobby for now but in the future I'd like to sell some for income on etsy (or another site if anyone could recommend me one?). Made my first one last night with two separately functioning bowls out of a chunk of random cherry i had laying around, since I've never wood worked before it was just for giggles and shits. Ordered dremel wood cutting wheels that Andy suggested, and cut up a bunch of cherry logs to practice making more pipes with. Just have to get Salad bowl finish to make it usable and some titebound type II dark wood glue for more complicated projects. Also need a core box bit for the bowls as you can see by the pictures it could be done much better.

Just now getting around to cutting up the cherry that fell thanks to the wind, gotta look at the chainsaw in a bit since it won't start. hopefully something simple. Also got a 5th wood crib structure completed that i'm going to use for Pine kindling, and I'm going to look into selling that and if it's at all possible, may need to let it cure for a while to increase the value.

UPDATE: It was something simple, dirty air filter.

Keep keeping on my fellow IAF Militia! :)

Hole for largest bowl:
rsz_0406191356.jpg
rsz_0406191356.jpg (77.61 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Was going for a skull :lol:, Both bowls function individually, so two people could use it at the same time. Still need to drill carb holes for each to be able to control the hit size:
rsz_0406191356a.jpg
rsz_0406191356a.jpg (87.67 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Hole for smaller bowl:
Failed peace sign lol:
rsz_0406191356d.jpg
rsz_0406191356d.jpg (82.91 KiB) Viewed 715 times

Kink

#274 Post by Kink » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 pm

Nah that was actually done with the dremel and an almost worn out grinding stone since I was curious what would happen, it smells like BBQ sauce lol. Good idea about the soldering iron, I'll look into one of those once I start getting a better hand at making the pipes.

...But first the meek must survive a grand solar minimum! :twisted: :mrgreen:

Kink

#275 Post by Kink » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:00 pm

Completely get that Andy, have been trying to convince my neighbors who are Iraqi/Indonesian, and it's been a very hard time even getting them to save some water. They got a few gallons when their water was shut off for a day and ended up using it the same day when it came back on despite everything I've told them :shock:.

In their defense, they are much much more well off than I am financially so I'd probably be like this guy is young, having trouble financially, etc why is he worrying about us at al? I'm sure they will come around in a couple more years once it gets undeniable even for people as busy as them who never pay attention to their yards or look around at nature to see all the lichen growing on every tree, etc. I plant the seed and if they are receptive that's fine but I would quite easily drive myself nuts trying to convince everyone wholeheartedly because just not being able to convince the people that do a lot for me gives me Onset Cassandra Syndrome.

Has your son come around yet Andy? My mother is my only family member who believes it and understands most of it completely

Kink

#276 Post by Kink » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:52 am

.:- Sunday -:.

Got lots of lawn work yet to do, going to cut down our neighbor's grasses for them if i can get the chainsaw running before the new air filter arrives tomorrow. If I can get it running I'll get more wood cut and split as well. Gotta finish the two cherry tree's before moving onto the pine. They made me a nice huge pile of pine wood chips I'd like to look into making a mushroom farm if possible too.

Time to smell the coffee and get going! :D

dirtmurphy

#277 Post by dirtmurphy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Hey Kink! You're going to need fresh hardwood chips instead of pine for mushroom production. I'm working on a blog post on King Stropharia production. I'll post a link as soon as I'm done. Good luck!

Kink

#278 Post by Kink » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:34 pm

Today more yard work, and waiting for a call from a second landscaping company that the first gave my name. Told me he would call yesterday again and it seemed we left off on a positive note so not sure, but could sure use this job and even said I'd be willing to walk over a mile to and from the bus to get to them. Now I'm just waiting for a new ignition module for the chainsaw as I was running the saw tuned too rich which caused the engine block housing the spark plug to make the coil in the ignition module weaken and fracture. Easy fix, and a lesson to learn from.

Here's to a good day from me to you, keep preppin and staying positive! mmmmmm coffeee :mrgreen:

Kink

#279 Post by Kink » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:05 pm

Still no response from landscaping guy, which is fine just time to apply elsewhere. Where one door closes, 5 more open - you just need to look! It's my mission to be employed this month whether I have to push a mower around house-house or walk into 20 stores myself. Had my first bonfire of the year at sunset yesterday and was very impressed by how hot and efficient the cherry wood is and it's not even a quarter way through its seasoning :).

Saving all of my wood ash in baggies and sealing the rest I don't since the uses for this stuff are endless! Soil amendment to replace lime for PH buffer, soil amendment for calcium that tomatoes love, keeps snails out of your garden, keeps insects/rodents out of your house, can use it to make soap, feed it to chickens, put it in compost, make cement/glue, etc etc. Save that ash!

Hope your day is great, keep it preppin all!

Kink

#280 Post by Kink » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:48 pm

Standing up fun work for me Andy! Ignition module should be here today so can finally get to the 6-8ft/5-ft diameter grasses I missed getting last fall on our property/neighbors property. Excited to see them explode again this year, some are absolute monsters, great privacy fencing for sure. Plus I get to take them up to the garden beds and burn them which is fun :D.

Finally got the freezer cleaned out with bleach, bags upon bags filled with tomatoes/mushrooms/greens I still have to seal and refreeze later on. Have been 'mowing' my 3/4 acres + neighbors lawn with the weed eater until I get a new lawn mower :lol: great exercise, and fun seeing my older neighbor across the street have his hands on his forehead like "wtf is wrong with him". I would never dare ask them to borrow their mower, because they wouldn't unfortunately.

After I get the grasses cut I can get back to the cherry that's been laying for a week or two now. Had to cancel the dremel saw blades since I saw I could just get them from the US a lot quicker.

Positivity to all of you, hope your day is awesome!\

Update: Grrrrrr. Module worked but was much longer than the OEM (despite being the exact Part # in the listing I needed) and gets pressed up against the cylinder and melts it to hell and back. Have to push it to the side but then it's right over the fan lol. Damn you china, damn you!