Infrastructure Hacks

Farside

Infrastructure Hacks

#1 Post by Farside » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:19 pm

This topic is a repository of cool ideas for making stuff that either isn't available in your area, or is too expensive to purchase at scale.

Farside

Re: Infrastructure Hacks

#2 Post by Farside » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:20 pm

Air pruning pots for training roots of perennials are great but they're also super expensive. Here is a cheap alternative:

Farside

#3 Post by Farside » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Perforated seed trays are really, cheap here - even free if you go to walmart at the end of garden season because they sell the plants and have them left over. The solid trays are not cheap. They cost between $7 and $10.

My solution is to use flat cardboard trays that things like grapes ship in. I get them for free at the grocery store. I then put them inside of a plastic garbage bag. The bag acts as a waterproof coating, and the cardboard provides the shape.

Farside

#4 Post by Farside » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:38 pm

I'm growing pine trees from seed, and I need a large quantity of tall, thin pots because trees put down deep tap roots before anything else.

I have found that the largest paper coffee cups you get at places like starbucks and McDonalds work well when you punch a hole in the bottom from the inside.

They're lined with a thin plastic film so the paper cup holds together for a season. This spring, I swapped the overwintered seedlings into new cups while the soil inside was still frozen.