SmartLikeTruck

This is where you introduce yourself.
SmartLikeTruck

SmartLikeTruck

#1 Post by SmartLikeTruck » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:01 am

Hey y'all
I'm in mid latitude eastern BC Canada, nestled against the Rockies.
I work in the oil & gas patch in northern BC and Alberta (drilling rig).
I lived in the southern Yukon for a good number of years, thus I have plenty of experience living and working in some pretty extreme cold.
-58 C is the coldest I've ventured out in.

Been interested in Permaculture & regenerative ag for a good long time, took an online PDC a few years ago.
Live on a small acreage (~10) with Good Wife (GW) and Dear Child (DC) a little ways out of the grasp of the closest municipality.
Pretty thin topsoil at my place, on a old gravel bench so majority of garden space is made with onsite compost mixed with offsite peaty loam.

Keep laying hens, Americauna, White Chantecler and bantam Polish, all having excellent cold tolerance. During the summers have also done a few batches of meat birds - Cornish cross chickens previous years and this year white turkeys. It's taken a few years but I've now got a pretty good method for pasturing the birds that strikes a balance between ease of movement and predator protection (I now have a real dislike for black bears :)

This is probably good enough for now, Cya out in the threads.

Andy F

Re: SmartLikeTruck

#2 Post by Andy F » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:09 am

Welcome here SmartLikeTruck!
Happy to meet a new & interesting Candan member and a new post. I've a friend in AB, Dr. Reid Jenner, good people too.
You, DW & DC live way far up North from AZ. Drilling & Oilfields huh? Hard workout for any body, shoulders & elbows & hands must ache after a hard day.
How many hours is a regular shift these days up there?

It's a good group here, glad you said hello. Lot of Chicken Lovers here, we like them alive snuggly stinky & laying huevos.
Keep prepping :)
"Conspiracy Theorist: One who asks legitimate questions about shady activities of people who're well known to be liars." https://www.archive.org :mrgreen: http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/

SmartLikeTruck

Re: SmartLikeTruck

#3 Post by SmartLikeTruck » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:24 am

Andy F wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:09 am
How many hours is a regular shift these days up there?
I get an 8 hour shift when returning to the rig, then six 12 hour shifts, then a split shift to switch to nights then six more 12 hour shifts. Two weeks on one week off.