What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Andy F

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#631 Post by Andy F » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:41 pm

And this is all I've done (yes, these jobs are quite large jobs in and of themselves) on top of riding out to take a look see at some plots of land - will definitely need the (RE) real estate agent involved to truly locate which plot is which plot.
Wonderful! Be really careful on Zoning laws & RE trickery. I'm sure you're aware.

8greenbeans

#632 Post by 8greenbeans » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:56 am

Andy F wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:41 pm
Wonderful! Be really careful on Zoning laws & RE trickery. I'm sure you're aware.
Unfortunately, yes, I am aware through personal experience. When we bought the land we are on currently, we thought it was wonderful - not as big as we'd have liked but fit what we needed at the time .... until it came time to till the garden. Then we discovered that the entire back acre where all the garden land was located was actually just a parking lot with a couple inches of soil on top that grass had taken over. They knew the main thing we were going to do was garden and yet they neglected to tell us anything regarding the fact that we wouldn't be able to. It took years to get most of the asphalt and concrete out and to start rebuilding the soil. We've done lots of raised beds because of the inability to garden in the ground as we'd always done. Among other things, like - they didn't have a permit to build the sunroom that sits practically on top of the septic tank so we very nearly got fined for it until some lady took pity on us, or that they some sort of rewired the house so that nothing makes sense and my electrician father about had heart failure mapping it all out, he very nearly didn't sleep for months for being so afraid the house was going to burn down... and so forth and so on.
Thankfully, we now have a good friend who is a RE agent and will be able to offset some of the greedy b@#^!ds trickery.

After church we cut down five bushes and two trees. One tree had fallen during a storm right on top of the apple tree. Technically, only part of the apple tree came down as there was still some good, unbroken, green limbs after we got the other tree off of it. Not as much damage to the fence as originally thought either.
I got the outside of one bio-reactor built. Ran into an issue with the u-shape nails I was trying to use to attach it to the pallet. So will need to go grab some proper ones tomorrow. Got all the dry hay pitched into the trough and then fluffed the rest to help it dry some. Closed off the young chicken pen to force them to roost with the older chickens in the large coop. Moved the duck pool to another part of the pasture.
Canned another batch of beef bone broth. I think I have 3 more bags of bones so that is three more batches left to do.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
USAF Mom. ANG Mom-in-law.
Army Daughter. Navy Niece.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Andy F

#633 Post by Andy F » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:33 pm

8greenbeans wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:56 am
Andy F wrote:
Unfortunately, yes, I am aware through personal experience. When we bought the land we are on currently, we thought it was wonderful - not as big as we'd have liked but fit what we needed at the time .... until it came time to till the garden.
I kind of figured. Lucky us? Mine was in the front rose garden strip. Under the bushes was the 3 foot layer of old cement and bricks etc. It's where they dumped it after building about 3 homes, all covered with 16" of dirt. It filled my truck bed level to top edge. Took it to the dump. Took about 3 months to dig it up and truck it out. Then had to buy Top Soil....ugh.

Talked to The Kid, about the CalFIRE issues. He said no evacuation in his area in beach cities, but him & his daughter are having to use albuterol inhalers, but otherwise are all okay. I told him it was about time he sell out while the selling is somewhat """good""" and to buy some decent land. With The Kid, can only plant an idea and see if it sprouts. Not sure where he got his stubbornness from :?

It's cold today. Updating my ToDo List. Staying busy. Still working on a few Sm & Lg projects. Wanting to go to Farmer's Market before this weekend. I've a hankering to do some more dehydrating, apples & some vegs. I wanted to dry some orange peels for Christmas, maybe not.

Other than that, it appears to be all quiet on the Western Front. Watching the sales for Halloween hard candy for storage.
Find your local fresh water, streams or lakes, and get appropriate filter equipment. The Katadyn is really good.
On the water issue, I can't push that enough.

Bobble Hat

#634 Post by Bobble Hat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:02 pm

Dug up our carrots the other day and we had 62 reasonable sized ones which weighed in at just under 7lb12oz. Buried some in sand (as per John Seymour) and today we chopped the rest of them up into small pieces and boiled them up. Going to freeze them when theyve cooled down. :)

8greenbeans

#635 Post by 8greenbeans » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:23 pm

Andy F wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:33 pm
8greenbeans wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:56 am
Andy F wrote:
Unfortunately, yes, I am aware through personal experience. When we bought the land we are on currently, we thought it was wonderful - not as big as we'd have liked but fit what we needed at the time .... until it came time to till the garden.
I kind of figured. Lucky us? Mine was in the front rose garden strip. Under the bushes was the 3 foot layer of old cement and bricks etc. It's where they dumped it after building about 3 homes, all covered with 16" of dirt. It filled my truck bed level to top edge. Took it to the dump. Took about 3 months to dig it up and truck it out. Then had to buy Top Soil....ugh.

Talked to The Kid, about the CalFIRE issues. He said no evacuation in his area in beach cities, but him & his daughter are having to use albuterol inhalers, but otherwise are all okay. I told him it was about time he sell out while the selling is somewhat """good""" and to buy some decent land. With The Kid, can only plant an idea and see if it sprouts. Not sure where he got his stubbornness from :?
Even more similar than previously thought! We have a bunch of dumped concrete down the back slope of the property. You couldn't see it when we bought it from all the trees but we knew it was only about 15 yards - all slope, all heavily wooded ... once we started clearing out to put the pasture fence in - welp, there were about 8 pieces of huge honking pieces of busted up concrete - so big that we wound up just leaving it for the goats to climb upon while clearing all the small stuff around it so that pasture grass could grow.
And kids, yeah, you can only plant ideas. We have a couple that are completely behind preparations (one used to practice eating as fast as possible so that no one could steal her food if there was a shtf scenario lol) ... but yet they don't do anything *to* prepare. Then again, they are poor college students AND they would work their hineys off here to help grow food if it ever came down to it. It's the ones that aren't awake in spite of their upbringing that worry me. *sigh*

MONDAY

Pitched dried hay into the trough and fluffed the still-wet again. Attached the bio-reactor to a pallet and attached the PVC pipe. Laid down landscaping fabric in walkway between raised bed and pallets and laid all the blocks for the raised bed. Broke off the small limbs of all the bushes and tree limbs & put those in the raised bed bottom. Began gathering wagons full of leaves for the bio-reactor. Began overhauling canned jars shelves. When I would send kids or even hubby downstairs to put jars away, they just put them willy nilly on shelves and some even just left them on the floor. It was a right mess.

TUESDAY

Worked outside gathering and cutting leaves for bio-reactor until it started raining then spread winter rye seed when it did. Made pizza crusts. Canned a batch of meat from the freezer. Ground herb leaves and mixed up some more herbals. Continued the overhaul of canning shelves.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

8greenbeans

#636 Post by 8greenbeans » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:26 pm

Bobble Hat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:02 pm
Dug up our carrots the other day and we had 62 reasonable sized ones which weighed in at just under 7lb12oz. Buried some in sand (as per John Seymour) and today we chopped the rest of them up into small pieces and boiled them up. Going to freeze them when theyve cooled down. :)
That was a pretty good haul there. Do y'all do any canning? I can my carrots both by themselves and in things like beef stew. Delicious!
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Andy F

#637 Post by Andy F » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:17 pm

Even more similar than previously thought! We have a bunch of dumped concrete down the back slope of the property. You couldn't see it when we bought it from all the trees but we knew it was only about 15 yards - all slope, all heavily wooded ... once we started clearing out to put the pasture fence in - welp, there were about 8 pieces of huge honking pieces of busted up concrete If you can, lay it out in a pile so you can fill with dirt and plant stuff inside. My friend turned hers into a huge planter for flowers, bulbs & roses, I helped her break some concrete about 6-8" thick up with a sledge hammer, she used it for a edging for an island rose garden in front yard. I think it was old septic tank walls, there was a lot of it. Looked pretty nice. - so big that we wound up just leaving it for the goats to climb upon while clearing all the small stuff around it so that pasture grass could grow.
And kids, yeah, you can only plant ideas. We have a couple that are completely behind preparations (one used to practice eating as fast as possible so that no one could steal her food if there was a shtf scenario lol) ... but yet they don't do anything *to* prepare. Then again, they are poor college students AND they would work their hineys off here to help grow food if it ever came down to it. It's the ones that aren't awake in spite of their upbringing that worry me. *sigh* YEP
HUGE selling points for your property. Document it as part of disclosure of viability of land for growing.
[/quote]

Getting some 32 oz straight sided (FDA+) plastic containers from USP online https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... &catid=604
They also have some interesting bucket lids with spouts that ULine doesn't have. Checking out prices&Shpg on their braided PVC FDA Type 21 tubing.

Other than that, am listening to good October music, Ravel Chopin & Mussorgsky "Night on Bald Mountain" while playing around with some new EL components on breadboard. No zaps yet. Heh heh.

Bobble Hat

#638 Post by Bobble Hat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:27 am

Hi 8greenbeans,
We've not canned carrots, never managed to grow enough before haha! We did a couple of jars of tomatoes though this year. We get most of our recipes and other info from the John Seymour books. Mainly do jams and cordials, black and elderberrys,black currants, raspberries and plums. We know people "can" all sorts of meals and stews and we will give it a try next year! :)

Andy F

#639 Post by Andy F » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:29 am

I'm staying in Halloween night tonight. It is the PURGE night. Comes from the film trilogy.
So, I'll just do more chores, write more, plan more preps & EL projects, and watch the parade in the morning when the after the purge night news comes out. The PURGE costumes most popular are wearing white clothing, torn and fake bloodied, wearer carries knives or swords.

Curiously, in last week of August 2019, the Untied Nations took possession of a large Salt Lake City center building, calling it their Compound apparently with armed guards. No journalists were allowed & Utah news is silent. The UN suspended the citizens of their Civil Rights during the 3 days of occupation and compound.

The UN thinks they OWN You and your Children, they call them OUR CHILDREN & teach gender diversity & sex to 5 year olds.
I'm listening to Barbra Streisand "Send in the Clowns" and it's comedy.

Hmmm :|
Oh well, carry on! Tis all I can do is raise awareness.

Andy F

#640 Post by Andy F » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Ordered 160 lbs of dry beans, split peas, rice for delivery Monday.
72 12oz cans SPAM. I rarely bought canned spam, maybe a dozen cans in my lifetime, but, I got it for storage & barter.
Ordered 40 lbs better Q hard candy, Brach's mixed wrapped at half price. Should fill a 5 lb bucket and plus.

Numerous crazed Halloween shootings & deaths occurred everywhere in USA last night.
Some crazy people out there regularly causing mayhem. I watched Colin Flaherty's newest 3 videos.
After a while, it's easier to see their sickness of violent psychology in those very young up to under 30 people.

Speaking and writing using good English is now labeled as supporting white supremacy and racist in colleges throughout USA.
At collegefix.com or org???

We do live in interesting times.
Edit: working on some book print jobs, creating hard cover printed books from PDFs on LULU.com
2nd Edit: Ordered 50 lbs Zulka pure cane sugar, it's a favorite here.
I'm done & all tuckered out, time to go read or watch a movie. Likely movie, did a lot of eye work today. Drew a couple new schematics up.