Finances /Cash on hand- Be prepared!

What did you do to prepare today?
CraftTeaLady

Finances /Cash on hand- Be prepared!

#1 Post by CraftTeaLady » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:45 pm

Its Christmas time, so there are a ton of people out shopping. We all get that.

But today, while I was in line at Fred Meyer (PNW store that falls under the Kroger umbrella) there was so many checkouts across the country - "we" broke the servers. Broke - clogged - jammed, you can label it whatever you want.

No one could check out. Period.

We had to 1) wait until they worked again, or 2) go take cash out of the atm and pay that way. I suppose there was also 3) pay with a check if you had one on hand (um, who carries those?!?!?).

It got me to thinking, not about Christmas obv, but about any situation and how quickly our computer generated world can change.

I don't carry cash. Period. (Back in 2000 I got robbed and since then, its just been a thing with me.)

Anyway - food for thought. And my .02. :)
Gina - aka CraftTeaLady

Bobble Hat

Re: Finances /Cash on hand- Be prepared!

#2 Post by Bobble Hat » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:32 pm

Hi craftealady,
That happens here in Liverpool uk a few times a year. Either the shops or the bank terminals go off and everyone is caught out unprepared. I've started adding up my shopping list before I go shopping, then I go to the bank and I draw the total in cash plus £10 extra. Then I shop.
I think that one day that cash may even be the difference between us having food or not.
On another level, if you don't use it, you'll lose it, cash that is. It keeps someone in a job, even if it's only the person who fills the atm!