What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Elew

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#141 Post by Elew » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:10 pm

Christian, I wish her a wonderful journey...

Today here we get to use some preps. I actually love these days because when they are painless then I know we have gotten fairly well prepared. We just had to move the RV for a few days so they could do tree work, but it took us only 4 hours to pack it up, move, and re-setup. Here we have no gas, but our backup heat source is toasty warm. It is still propane though...so that Cubic wood stove is top on my list of next expensive things to do...that and the Berkey replacement (I left the old Berkey with my daughter who is on city water)

The record cold temp for today here is I think 17* F...so it looks like we met it. It might have been colder because this was at 8am...but we will break it tonight for sure as it is supposed to get down to 12* or below. We will see what happens! We have about 3 inches of global warming outdoors right now, and could get up to a foot...then it should hop back up into the 50s in a couple days. I think it's a warning, to get ready for a super cold snowy winter.

The current record low for Oct. 15 here is 20 degrees, set in 1970...

Elew

#142 Post by Elew » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:13 pm

I think that 1970 record was smashed ...this was 3am temp here

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#143 Post by iceagefarmer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:00 am

Elew wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:13 pm
I think that 1970 record was smashed ...this was 3am temp here
Good lord!

Andy F

#144 Post by Andy F » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:00 am

Today?
Looking up UN Climate Change (nonsense) and their 2100AD goal of price increase in cost of gasoline of $240.00 per gallon.

Sad, annoyed :oops: yet laughing at our latest desperate spammer & 20 long C/P drug linked filled nonsensical messages posted in less than 15 minutes of joining.
What is their point of their comedic spams?
I only wish I could have deleted them all :lol:
I have a Library. Winter bookworm on history. Anarchist. https://www.archive.org :mrgreen:

Elew

#145 Post by Elew » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:37 pm

iceagefarmer wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:00 am

Good lord!
Right? it was really cold... David D caught it and showed the Denver temps. We are a bit west and up in the mountains so we get colder than Denver, but these are temps we expect in Dec - Feb.

It's warmer today, high in the upper 50s. I slept through the lows

Elew

#146 Post by Elew » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Today I rounded up 4 new pairs of wool socks...and some wool yarn to make more.

And starting on the new area for indoor growing :) I hope we get the sprout shelf and lights in by tomorrow!! I am dying to make Zoom Melts

Zoom Melt

Pita or other flat bread
Cream Cheese
Hummus
Veggies (I like tomato, mushroom, and spinach or broccoli )
Shredded cheese

Put it in the oven or broil until the veggies are cooked some and the shredded cheese melts...then pile sprouts on top, it's So Yummy

Andy F

#147 Post by Andy F » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:34 pm

Today? I started gathering and organizing storage for fire items.
To easily start fires for warmth and cooking.
I am still in planning stages for DIY ammunition box Rocket Stove. Having a hard time deciding which DIY.
I got a bit hung up on untwisting the RISEUP nonsense. Darned criminals :twisted:

Rooting out, identifying gangs & Organized Crime in my state. Best to know who & where they are and their typical crimes to not become their victim. They're everywhere.
Anyone remember the Mariota Boats from Cuba to Miami in 1980s? Castro emptied out his prison, sent them all over to Miami, and then laughed about it.
I have a Library. Winter bookworm on history. Anarchist. https://www.archive.org :mrgreen:

Andy F

#148 Post by Andy F » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:05 pm

Good Monday!
I'm not sure whether to laugh, or laugh some more. They want "science based"..rallies in 41 states.

Oct 28-29: Rally for the Trial of the Century https://actionnetwork.org/event_campaig ... source=350
"They are the 21 #youthvgov plaintiffs in Juliana v. United States, supported by Our Children’s Trust, and they allege that the U.S. government has knowingly violated their constitutional rights for over 50 years by causing and contributing to climate change. On October 29th they will march into court—with America standing behind them—to demand a science-based National Climate Recovery Plan: a plan that would end the reign of fossil fuels and require the United States government to do its part to address dangerous climate change for young people and all future generations."

Dept of Justice states "The kids and young adults seeking to hold the government accountable for climate change impacts have "no legal basis" for their case, the Trump administration's top environmental lawyer said today." https://www.eenews.net/eenewspm/stories/1060103871/

:mrgreen: I think EE & DoJ knows winter is here

Monday Funny Back home in Tennessee my Grandmother had an outhouse up until 1971. Hint: save the yellow pages, if you don't have any, hunt some down :mrgreen:

Elew

#149 Post by Elew » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:43 pm

It will be interesting to watch it all play out Andy, because they are summer children ;)

Today, I ordered some sprouting seeds (now that we have a place to grow them) chia, mustard, broccoli, onion and buckwheat...as well as more spinach and cucumber seeds.

Yesterday I got the lingonberry, blackberry and strawberries planted. The first two look great, but the strawberries got some heavy frost damage on the way. Not the nursery's fault, I mean who expects 5* F in October? I think that 4 out of 6 might pull through if I baby them alot. They have new leaves ready to grow, though after trimming off the dead parts at most they have 2 or 3 full leaves. Fingers crossed they make it...

and glad I brought the blueberries in, because yesterday the deer did some 'pruning' on the bayberries. All the leaves are gone and the branches nibbled back to where I would have pruned them to myself. I am thinking I might put some burlap bags over them so they don't nibble them to nothing, but I suppose it was nice of them to do the fall pruning :).

Elew

#150 Post by Elew » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:35 pm

While I am working, my mind keeps spinning to the questions my daughter's would have if the food supply crashes. How to bake bread, and how to make their own yeast, or baking soda...if something happened to me, they would have all the food we stored, but they wouldn't really know how to use it. All the baby questions too...and basic how to for fixing things, growing things, etc...

So, I am going to make them a book, on what Mom would do...something I can print out for them and put in a binder. I will make it in something like a PDF to share so other's here can print it, or add on too...whenever it gets finished