Medicinals for babies and kids

Elew

Medicinals for babies and kids

#1 Post by Elew » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:28 am

All health related little people Q&A

Elew

Re: Medicinals for babies and kids

#2 Post by Elew » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:07 am

I think only parents toss how frequently babies poop into daily conversation, but it is super important.

So today my oldest daughter called me, with toddler constipation problems...there are plenty of over the counter products, but what do we do when they are not available?

I suggest adding a pack of pediatric suppository molds to the medical supplies... ie... https://www.amazon.com/Alimed-Pediatric ... B015RY8TMY

Some pipettes are good to have, but I prefer glass eye droppers for all herbal prep (which can be cleaned, sterilized and used again)

The basic recipe for making healthy suppositories goes like this;

1 part gelatin
4 parts water or herbal infusion
1 1/2 parts veg. glycerin

Melt the gelatin into the water/infusion over low heat, stirring constantly...then add in the glycerin. Reduce a bit, then fill the molds.

Store the bullets in the fridge for longer term, but once set they should not melt easily at room temperature (or 5 to 10 degrees F below body temp). They should slowly melt if held in your hand...if they do, you know you made them correctly.

They can be used 1 - 3 times a day, until healthy poop cycle resumes...along with belly massage. The root cause will need to be figured out and corrected of course. It can be anything from stress, to diet...

Medicinal herbal suppositories can also be used if a baby/child it not able to drink tea due to lethargy in illness. The intestines absorb the herb readily, but it is uncomfortable so is only used this way in dire situations.

Elew

Re: Medicinals for babies and kids

#3 Post by Elew » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:05 am

Teething is another one that came up recently...that super red acid diaper rash. Again there are plenty of good creams, but the whole body can be easily treated to make the child more comfortable.

First we make Arrowroot slow baked biscuits (cookies) I will add a recipe later...
We use the dried powdered root and rhizome if you grow it yourself. It is fairly easy to find already powdered for now. Arrowroot is a high protein starch, which has demulcent properties, so it is soothing to the gut as well as the gums. The hard biscuits help to break the teeth through.

The body produces acids to help the gums soften, so we don't really want to neutralize the acid, because we would be prolonging the event. Instead we try to go with demulcents to sooth and give some relief.
Oats are perfect, they will sooth the entire gut, and help counter acid stomach which leads to colic. (though a soda cracker or two before bed is okay...I will add that recipe later too) Baby food can be thinned with oat water too, but no acidic foods.

We do need to neutralize the acid on the other side though. A sink bath with a good cup of baking soda in it tends to clear the acid rash very quickly. After the bath apply a good layer of lanolin for a protective barrier, so the acidic urine does not hurt their skin in the night...(oat baths are soothing too, so long as the acid rash has been neutralized)

A bit of aromatherapy with a mix of;
1 part Lavender oil
3 parts Chamomile oil
1/2 part Peppermint oil

Sprinkle on their pillow, or mix 6 parts sweet almond oil to 1 part sleepy oil mix and use as a baby oil after their bath...and it will help them sleep peacefully.

Edit...I forgot to add Hyland's Teething Tablets https://www.amazon.com/Hylands-Soothing ... B0767VDHXD ...get them while you can...they are pretty amazing if you are busy in the day and have no time for baths.

With all of these things babies and toddlers can get through teething fairly painlessly.