How does your garden grow?

Farside

Re: How does your garden grow?

#51 Post by Farside » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:13 pm

OK I thought I'd share part of a technique I originally developed for growing microgreens without soil. I'm adapting it for starting my ginger and turmeric.

I start with two growing flats. One perforated and the other solid. The perforated one will ultimately stack inside the solid one so that excess moisture will drain down into the lower container.
base trays.jpg
base trays.jpg (103.19 KiB) Viewed 7 times
Next, I enlarge two holes in the perforated tray and insert strips of paper towel through the holes so that when the trays are stacked, the paper wick will be in the water of the lower tray.
insert wicks.jpg
insert wicks.jpg (73.29 KiB) Viewed 7 times
You can see these wicks protruding out from the bottom of the perforated tray here:
position tray.jpg
position tray.jpg (72.85 KiB) Viewed 7 times

Farside

#52 Post by Farside » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:17 pm

Once the trays are stacked together, I position the upper part of the wick as shown. I found that the ends of the tray tend to dry out if you don't pay attention to how these are positioned.
position wicks.jpg
position wicks.jpg (68.62 KiB) Viewed 7 times
Then I place a sheet of paper towel between the two wicks.
wicking mat.jpg
wicking mat.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 7 times
Normally I would then cover the entire bottom with paper towel and grow microgreens, but in this case, I'm covering it with a thin layer of soil. Then on top of that I have placed my ginger roots.
layer soil.jpg
layer soil.jpg (96.34 KiB) Viewed 7 times

Farside

#53 Post by Farside » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:20 pm

Finally, I cover the roots with soil as you do :-)
cover.jpg
cover.jpg (83.34 KiB) Viewed 7 times
I will now water them by placing water into the lower reservoir. With microgreens, this will last a week before requiring a top up.

Here is my turmeric undergoing the same process in a separate container system:
turmeric.jpg
turmeric.jpg (72.37 KiB) Viewed 7 times
As the roots sprout and roots develop, I will carefully separate the shoot and root from the mother rhizome and plant it in it's own pot.

Farside

#54 Post by Farside » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:34 pm

Here is a photo of the trays about an hour after putting water in the lower containers. You can see moisture has made its way to the surface over almost the entire tray (if you look carefully you can see a few remaining dry spots).
working.jpg
working.jpg (180.85 KiB) Viewed 5 times