Hello from the Southeast US

This is where you introduce yourself.
8greenbeans

Hello from the Southeast US

#1 Post by 8greenbeans » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:48 pm

For some reason I thought I had posted an introduction already but apparently I haven't.
My signature kinda says it all. We have a mini farm with the requisite chickens but also ducks, quail, turkey, goats, and bees. While I have a greenhouse, it's never really done well for us. I'm building up around it and learning how to promote heat within. It's taking awhile between our insane work hours - mine are less so only in that I get days off while working the same amount of hours as hubby, so I'm the one doing all the projects alone. The soil on our property was horrendous when we moved in - it was literally just a couple inches on top of a parking lot (unbeknownst to us when we bought the place). It has taken years to get to the point we can even grow directly in the ground. We have been doing a lot of raised beds and container gardening while we built up the soil and removed the asphalt and concrete. Still have a ways to go but at least it's getting there. We enjoy a lot of the "old ways" ... canning, trapping, archery, knitting, herbalism, making wine, mead, and vinegars, fermenting, milling grains, etc, etc, etc, but also learning and improving upon our knowledge and skills.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
USAF Mom. ANG Mom-in-law.
Army Daughter. Navy Niece.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans