What Did You Do Today - Daily Steps 2020!

What did you do to prepare today?
TexasHomesteader

Re: What Did You Do Today - Daily Steps 2020!

#1 Post by TexasHomesteader » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:38 pm

Worked on my list of heirloom seeds I'm going to order for the 2020 growing season. Ordering from Baker seeds.

fogswamp

#2 Post by fogswamp » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:14 pm

Got a 100 watt solar kit I'm playing with. Decided to do a 10x12 hoop house for this year, as I'm very impressed with my small experimental winter one.

fogswamp

#3 Post by fogswamp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:42 am

Put together a "get home" bag for the vehicle. Thinking about this years garden. Feels different this year, instead of normal hobby garden, trying to really make it count!

fogswamp

#4 Post by fogswamp » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:43 am

Got a set of snow shoes for the family, and bought some more jars and lids.....hint

fogswamp

#5 Post by fogswamp » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:20 am

Picked up a book "Pacific Northwest Foraging" full of good info. Recommend something like this for your local.......

8greenbeans

#6 Post by 8greenbeans » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:15 am

Not much preppery today as we are spending time with the granddaughter - measured garden area and designed a worm tower.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
USAF Mom. ANG Mom-in-law.
Army Daughter. Navy Niece.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans + 2 due in July
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

8greenbeans

#7 Post by 8greenbeans » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:09 pm

Sunday found us working a bit on fixing the turkey coop roof, starting on rabbit tractors, and spreading wood chips. It was so windy that it was difficult to do much outside of feeding the animals.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

findingmyhope2017

#8 Post by findingmyhope2017 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:35 am

I have been on a search for dry beans to build up my stock pile. I have looked up the local international food stores in my area and they do have dry beans and large #10 cans where I cannot find them in the local grocery stores. So if you all are looking, it's a suggestion.

Anyway, I am new to it, but I have started canning foods. You can pressure can meat and I have been purchasing extra at the grocery store, especially when there is a sale and canning it. Canning potatoes and of course my winter squashes from this summer. I am canning everything I can possibly can and purchasing extra foods. I am trying to educate myself on everything from growing a larger garden, harvesting seeds and looking for any heirloom seeds I can find. I have learned how to grow potatoes and it's not hard guys, there are so many resources out there that will teach so many different ways. I am trying to find out which way will yield me the most amount of them. It's trial and error, but I am learning and that's the main thing.

Today, I have been on the hunt in my area for powdered milk products to stock up on them and find the best deals.

8greenbeans

#9 Post by 8greenbeans » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:08 am

There isn't much to list for Monday but it was hours of work outside. After busting all the ice in the animals' waterers & feeding them, I made my way to the feed store to pick up my rabbit pellets and grab a round bale of hay. It is nearly 6 inches to big to roll into the greenhouse (we will try a different way next month) so I had the not-so-bright idea to unroll it and stack it in the greenhouse. I mean, technically it worked, but y'all know those bales are compressed - they aren't as compressed when unrolled lol I mean I knew this but it didn't really compute until I was in the process of stacking it. Got just over half inside and will be feeding from the remaining half outside first, of course.
Got 3 more wagons full of wood chips moved into the muckiest part of the run by the pasture fence. Now I can walk everywhere without sinking ankle deep in muck!
After going in after sunset, I designed the raised beds for maximum square footage. The design I thought would have the least square footage actually had the most!

Today, after busting up more ice in the waterers and de-icing the furnace condensation tube, I worked on garden plans for the above-mentioned raised beds. I'm nearly halfway finished with that.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

8greenbeans

#10 Post by 8greenbeans » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:26 am

Wednesday I worked my paying job and MrBeans fed/watered the animals sincehe had a half day off work.

I got home from work around 2:30am so I slept pretty late. Worked on the garden calendar while eating then worked outside stripping and cutting plastic bottles and jugs to be pots or seedling greenhouses after feeding & watering the animals.
Speaking of greenhouses, I had to do a little patch job on ours until MrBeans can get out there and bend a section back into place. I thought I fixed it the other day but apparently not well enough. (It's where the hay bale hit it and bent a section.)

There's always something that takes up a bunch of time, interrupting that never-ending to-do list. Not to mention it still gets dark early. So an early day it was with less accomplished than I wanted.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans