Winter experiment

fogswamp

Winter experiment

#1 Post by fogswamp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:58 am

I've always wanted to try winter gardening. So I put up a small hoop tunnel. Approx 5' w x 10' l about 3' tall. On Sep 10, planted from seed( lettuce, carrots, radishes, mustard greens, collard greens and turnips. Everything grew very well, although it could of done better with more attention, but gotta start somewhere. Quick learnings: Expose plants to open air and light almost frost. It seemed to "toughen" them up a bit. I just used 4mil construction plastic, with this, proper attention to ventilation is a must. I closed one end during a cold windy night, didnt open for a couple days, and lost the lettuce. Opened it up in time to not hurt anything else. We've been having some strange temp swings, nearly 60 F in January. Thats what got me. I'm going to try the breathable fabric this time. Looking forward to this season and learning more. I'm in zone 8B

Farside

Re: Winter experiment

#2 Post by Farside » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:17 pm

There are multiple thicknesses of fabric used for floating row covers. It's a white woven dacron material that lets light and water through. If you use a heavy weight material, it will work as an insulating cover. It's reasonably cheap, but I'm not sure how long it lasts before the wind shreds it.

fogswamp

Re: Winter experiment

#3 Post by fogswamp » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:50 am

Going to try a 10x12 construction plastic hoop house with sides I can raise, and semi closed with fabric in winter. I can start and open, raise, harvest ,close, repeat? I have learned from this, http://www.motherofahubbard.com/ keep on keepin on.......