Indoor growing

aarnevaktis

Indoor growing

#1 Post by aarnevaktis » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:06 am

Hey ho

I have been trying to grow a number of stuff, indoors, carot, onion, moringa, bean, letuce, tomato and so on. The beans are high as the heavens, the tomato plants as well... But all ells is realy low low. The moringa germinated and gave me a tree, about 2 feet tall, then it stoped and died (i think). All the herbs just layed down and refused to grow more then 2 milimeter above eart. Had one Citron meliss growing eal good in the same pot as potato....

dirtmurphy

Re: Indoor growing

#2 Post by dirtmurphy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:35 am

@aarnevaktis I'm curious, how are you growing these? I'm assuming they're in pots, not hydroponic or aquaponic systems. I'm glad to hear that tomatoes and beans are doing well. What kinds of lights are you using and how much daylight and darkness are you giving them? I also assume that you started your herbs from seeds. What types of herbs are they and what size pots did you start them in? Also, what are you using for a potting medium? Maybe I can be of a little assistance if you would like to give some more details. I don't grow plants to maturity indoors (I have a greenhouse and several outdoor beds for that) but I do start most of my plants from seed and raise them indoors for several months before talking them outside. Seedlings need extra care until their root systems are really well established, so that may be part of the problem.

aarnevaktis

#3 Post by aarnevaktis » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:21 am

I grow them under some special lights with all the colours, no special light for seedlings etc. All from seeds. And I've chosen large pots/containers for all plants. Gave them 10h of light at first, then 11 and so on, up to 16 atm. The soil a mix of poting soil and soil from my very small garden outside. In some pots I added about 1/3 boild sand. (Stole it from the beach:)

The herbs im growing is all for medicinal (spelling) use, for me and family members. I do not feal comfortable listing em here atm. Hope you understand.

Is it to much light? Should I keep young plants in semidarkness?

dirtmurphy

#4 Post by dirtmurphy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Hey Aardevaktis! Sorry I haven't replied sooner. There's been a lot going on here. Here's a link to my blog.
https://dirtmurphy.wixsite.com/website/ ... arts-Your-
That should get you started.
My initial guess is that you have a couple of things working against you. I start most seeds in small containers because it's easier to keep them moist. The other thing that's probably hampering you is that you're a soil and potting soil mixture in pots. It's most likely too compacted for your seedling roots to develop properly.
You should probably either get a seed starting mixture or make your own. As far as darkness goes, yes, plants do need a certain amount of darkness to thrive. I give my seedlings preferably 8 hrs of darkness. Plants do photosynthesis during the day. At night they metabolize those sugars and do their actual growing.
I hope this helps. Good luck with your growing!

aarnevaktis

#5 Post by aarnevaktis » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:38 am

Thank you for your input. Less light for young plantts.

walterceal@yahoo.com

Results of 24 hour light

#6 Post by walterceal@yahoo.com » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:14 am

I just took some 14 day photos of my garden.... I am not a photographer by any means and I haven't figured out why the image host keeps turning and inverting the images but they still show what they need to show... These were planted from seed 14 days ago and have been under 24 hour light without a break since planting. The last picture is of radish which went psychotic without a period of darkness but has adapted and is now growing it's secondary leaves. Although I didn't bother taking a picture of the broccoli, it is just starting to develop secondary leaves like the radish. I expect it to go a bit easier for these 2 plants now that they survived and adapted.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Although a 14 day trial is hardly conclusive evidence that plants don't need to have the lights out to perform a "dark cycle", so far I am having good results with the lamps I am using. Soil, moisture, light, temperature are all factors in plant growth but I am working from the perspective that somewhere in these plants ancestry, they had bright sunny days, with bright, clear moonlit nights or had to grow near a source of bio-luminescent material with no period of actual darkness... So far, I haven't killed off any of the plants... fingers crossed!

Walter