What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Elew

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#311 Post by Elew » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Kink wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:44 pm

Thank you for the heads up :o. I'm trying to get a large variety of woods so I can experiment on which burns hotter/the longest. I heard hardwoods are good for that so have been trying to find maple/oak/ash trees. Also I've read that the good thing about hardwoods is that you don't kill them, when you cut them in winter time, it promotes regeneration in the tree itself and come spring will start to produce new shoots :) . But still gonna avoid the maples now, I'd like to try harvesting sap sometime
You are very welcome...Preppernurse has some good videos on tapping and making syrup

When we lived in Montana and only had a wood stove, we learned that Cherry burns the longest and hottest (but it is so pretty I kept taking pieces to carve and make stuff with)...Oak is next best, and then we would mix in some pine because that burns fast and hot so you are not waiting around fussing with it. So start with pine, or another soft wood that is rough split so there are fibers to catch easily...then once you have nice coals, toss in a hard wood.
Also cooking on the wood stove, you can add in wood that burns long and cool, like Hickory, so you have a nice long lasting low flame, Hickory often just burns like coal with barely a flame at all. (and it smells nice)
At night, I would put a hickory in the bottom, then two cherry on top, make sure I saw them catch...then tamp it down for a slow burn. We would be nice and warm all night, and there would still be coals in the morning. Toss in a pine, insta flames...then push it aside to clear the ash, and add whatever wood we needed. you get it I'm sure

dirtmurphy

#312 Post by dirtmurphy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:03 am

If I may pile on here, let me tell you my strategy for getting wood here in the city. I listen for chainsaws in the neighborhood, then talk to the tree crew. Most of the time they will deliver the tree to my house for free. The most they've ever asked is $25. I've had an oak and a cherry delivered. What doesn't get used for mushroom production gets used for soil building and firewood.
Here's the thing about trees. A lot of them are valuable food sources. There's the maple of course. Walnut can also be tapped for syrup. Wild cherry can be used as both a food source (I make jelly with it) and a very effective cough medicine. Oak and hickory are good nut trees. They take quite a while to bear food so I try to leave live trees standing whenever possible. If someone else cuts down a live hardwood, I'll gladly use it primarily for food production.
I grew up on 50 acres of woods. We only heated with wood but we never cut down a healthy tree for firewood. We only used deadfalls and storm-damaged trees for that.

Elew

#313 Post by Elew » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:05 am

Basics on Cherry trees... https://www.almanac.com/plant/cherries

It takes 2 good sized cherry trees to get through one winter if the wood is burned well. Once planted they fruit within 2 to 4 years...and are ready for wood in 6 to 10 years. So to grow them for fruit and wood...plant at least 2 per year. In 6 years you will have more cherries than you know what to do with, and can harvest to sell. And then in 8 years, you are ready to cut the first 2 for wood. From then on you will have the best wood every winter.

Hickory is another monster. They are centurions as teens, and live forever. It takes them 40 years to mature enough to produce nuts. We Never cut down a hickory tree unless there is no other choice. Instead we prune it and use the wood, chip a small branch to burn green to smoke meats. Collect deadfall branches etc...depending on where one lives, there might be old hickory trees nearby that need attention.

Oak trees are also centurions, so again we try not to cut them down unless they are only grown for wood. The can produce nuts in 20 to 30 years, and reach peak at 50 years. Like the Cherry trees though, if one plants 3 oak trees per year (northern red oak grows the fastest), then in 6 to 10 years they will be big enough to cut for wood, and with 3 oaks, 2-3 cherry and some pine every year, the wood will be sustainable.

Ash, another centurion, take 16 to 60 years to reach maturity. So if grown for wood, it will be a decent size in 10 years. Maybe plant 4 per year so there will be enough to burn through the winter.

Poplar grows Super fast, like over 10-15 ft a year, and once seasoned is a great fast hot burn.

Aspen (if they will grow in the area) will be 15 + feet in a few years. Not the best to burn, but it will make a lower temp fire.

Red Maple, does grow fast...so planting 6 or so per year for wood would be sustainable. They will get to 15 ft or so in 3 years...but will still be fairly skinny. Any older ones should be left to mature, because they need to be at least 40 years old to tap...and they will live for hundreds of years.

So there are some trees...

Andy F

#314 Post by Andy F » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:53 am

I'll be honest, I feel a bit of envy. I'd love to live in tree country, despite enjoying the desert life. You all are lucky. Here we have to buy firewood.

I finished up my day, getting a cup of tea and settling in with an odd book that was a Christmas gift from my
slightly paranormal friend.
It's David Icke paperback book, "Everything You Need to Know, But Have Never Been Told"
Thicker book than War and Peace by Tolstoy!!
741 pages & 2 1/4" thick. Should be a fun read, kind of on the fringe, I think :D
I have a Library. Winter bookworm. Peaceful dissent, is a true anarchist. https://www.archive.org :mrgreen:

Kink

#315 Post by Kink » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:47 pm

Wow okay I need to be extra cautious from now on then, and like Murphy said to always prefer dead standing trees than live ones when harvesting hardwood. Since I live in a small town, only time I hear chainsaws are typically neighbors but I bet I have a good chance during the summer to hear companies and try to ask them. Will be writing down notes later of what you guys said as it's priceless info.

And yeah good point Andy, I take for granted living so close to woods and having wonderful neighbors. My one neighbor gave me $20 this morning for moving his felled dead pine tree logs for him, and he asked about all the firewood and I explained the GSM to him and he seemed to believe it as his eyes started to bug out of his head when I told him about it being a 400 year solar cycle and the last being in the maunder minimum in the 1600s. Told him this firewood is for us (neighbors) when the time comes.

Could any of you say for sure what type of tree this was? Uploaded some pictures to an album here, can get more when I get home of the branches, etc. I only was guessing maple but it could even be black cherry looking up pictures of that on google, it is definitely hardwood as it was the first wood that gave me any trouble splitting without proper form.

Lesson today was when building a crib against a slanted hill, prop up the front of the blocks/whatever you're sitting the wood on so it doesn't fall over :lol:

Shoved some thin pieces of would between the side posts so they're steady and leveled out the front with a couple pieces of wood, also split and stacked some more this morning before heading out, still got a few big logs from that tree to split later.

As far as the solar cooker still sitting on how I want to go about insulating it. I really like this design that I found since it's slanted, and like I said before I could make holes inches apart into the side 6" openings so I can change the angle of it.

Elew

#316 Post by Elew » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 pm

I'm not sure how much property you have Kink, but with planning, and especially if you can get your neighbors involved in planting too, you all could have good sustainable wood even on a few acres. With large property, like Dirt said 40 to 50 acres, there is always plenty of deadfall and trees that need to be thinned. Either way you can thrive in the wood and food dept :) Select and clearly mark all the trees that are okay to cut, to avoid other people cutting the wrong ones. We would mark them in early to mid summer when dead and ill trees are easy to spot.
On a 40 acre plot, we would hit one acre per year for thinning (leaving the older healthy trees and thinning the undergrowth) and collecting deadfall. So we had a grid sort of. It kept the forest healthy too. Then plant herbs and root veggies and other food plants like blackberries, strawberries, blueberries...all between the trees, and around the property where they will get the sun they need. Just check for compatibility. Nettles are awesome, because they feed the soil nitrogen, so long as they are planted around nitrogen hungry plants.
It takes a little planning, and figuring out where each plant will thrive and help the plants near it...but eventually you will have a food forest that pretty much tends itself. A little pruning and harvesting is all you will need to do.

Andy, if all goes as we think it will, you might end up in the lush green area, and we might be under alot of snow :P

Andy F

#317 Post by Andy F » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Moonday, again!
I love Mondays, it's my reading day. I fell asleep last night reading the Icke book halfway into the 1st chapter.
@Elew, well I sure plan on it, I'll know where I ended up when I get there :mrgreen:
Wherever I am, there I be.
Today, I'm gathering sources & creating ideas using rechargeable batteries for starting fires. I posted a couple vids in the Fire Starter thread. I think I'll be quite fine on the starting fires, just need to find or buy wood. I have a regular fire pit that is 30" & is portable, metal. I might consider buying 1/4 Cord just to have. Not sure...

This morning I watched the documentary "Defamation" it is easily found in archive.org. I'd seen it before. It never ceases to amaze me that people teach all of their kids that everyone in the entire world hates & wants to harm them. What ever could go wrong there? Oh, the psychology of it all...HATE is a manufactured business created by frauds.
Carry on!

Costco sells out of 26 lb. mac & cheese tub with 20-year shelf life ...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/co ... shelf-life
3 days ago ... The wholesaler made news this week for selling out of its 26-pound bucket of macaroni and cheese that has a shelf life of up to 20 years.
I have a Library. Winter bookworm. Peaceful dissent, is a true anarchist. https://www.archive.org :mrgreen:

Elew

#318 Post by Elew » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:19 am

Uh-oh, word is out then...soon it will be hard to find storage food, and prices will rise accordingly I'm sure.

I think I need some of those pockets Andy, because I have a hard time making habits. I really tried to stay on my planned schedule, but then these little wood pieces started dancing around calling me, and this happened

I did get the bread and things made yesterday, but then I was supposed to make hummus and work on hair forks today. Oh well, I will try again tomorrow. I got 4 pyrography pendants made though :) These are little 1 inch discs, and so much fun!

I did water and feed the veggies too...

dirtmurphy

#319 Post by dirtmurphy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:44 am

Beautiful work as always Elew!

Andy F

#320 Post by Andy F » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:52 am

Yep, beautiful pieces, so small. The one on the right has a Mother of Pearl tones. Elew does create some fascinating things.