What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
anomalous howard

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#341 Post by anomalous howard » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:15 am

Now that I'm knee deep in qt. jars of and black rice and a wide variety of dried beans, the measured pace of conversion of fiat currency into things comes to flours, spices, teas and related items. All now in transit, slated for proper storage methods upon arrival:
300 lbs. of flour, 6 lbs tea, about 75 lbs of spices, etc. A few of the below are readily grown indoors or out. However, most are not easily self-produceable in GSM/pole shift relevant prep/barter quantities.
Also, some of the earliest world fortunes in recorded history were built on spices. Check the "per oz." prices at the grocery store. Compare it to bulk "per lb" or "per 5 lb" and up pricing for bulk. Then consider future supply prospects.
Pot growers are missing the $ boat....except there's the buzz with that...heheh.
I went to myspicesage.com...a bulk dealer...and secured various weights of that listed below from among a reasonably large selection. (Not an endorsement...just a fact)

Beans & Rice = Surviving.
Bulk quantity spices = "...and thriving".

Any suggestion for future consideration is appreciated:

ALMOND FLOUR
ALUM POWDER
ANCHO CHILE POWDER
ARROWROOT POWDER
BAKING POWDER
BAKING SODA
BASIL GROUND
BAY LEAVES
BROWN CHIPOTLE POWDER
BULGUR WHEAT
CACAO POWDER RAW ORGANIC
CARDAMOM GROUND
CELERY SEEDS
CHILI LIME SEASONING
CHINESE FIVE SPICE POWDER
CEYLON CINNAMON POWDER ORGANIC
COCOA POWDER NATURAL
CORN FLOUR
CORNMEAL
CREAM OF TARTAR
CUMIN GROUND
CURRY POWDER
CURRY POWDER HOT
DIJON MUSTARD POWDER
DIRTY RICE SEASONING
GARLIC POWDER GRANULATED
GINGER GROUND
GINSENG OOLONG TEA
GRAINS OF PARADISE
HORSERADISH POWDER
HUNGARIAN PAPRIKA
HOT HUNGARIAN PAPRIKA
HOT CHILI POWDER
JASMINE TEA
LAVENDER GREEN TEA
LEMON JUICE POWDER
LIME JUICE POWDER
MACE GROUND
MADRAS CURRY POWDER
MARJORAM GROUND
MUSTARD POWDER
NUTMEG GROUND
OREGANO GREEK
OREGANO GROUND
PICO DE GALLO SEASONING
PUMPERNICKEL FLOUR
RED CHILI POWDER
ROSEMARY GROUND
RYE FLOUR
SAGE GROUND
SEMOLINA FLOUR
SPELT FLOUR
SPIRULINA POWDER
SUMMER SAVORY GROUND
TARRAGON FRENCH
THYME GROUND
TURMERIC GROUND
VANILLA POWDER - 100% PURE
WHITE PEPPER GROUND
WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR

8greenbeans

#342 Post by 8greenbeans » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:26 pm

Andy F wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:02 am
... had it Saturday delivered no charge. ...
And less for the checkers to notice if it's delivered here and there as well.

Yesterday was full! We checked out a new-to-us feed store and found a great source for non-GMO, non-soy for cheaper than the regular feed at the other local feed stores making it well worth the 30-minute drive to get there. And we can get it non-pelleted, whole seed which means we can use it to grow fodder also which is awesome. Then we came home to build a duck house & put the solid sides on the goat house as well as winterize the pool. Decided to hold off on the goat house as their house is actually still quite warm even with the slatted walls. No need in them getting too hot.

Now on to today's adventures...
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
USAF Mom. ANG Mom-in-law.
Army Daughter. Navy Niece.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans + 2 due in July
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

anomalous howard

#343 Post by anomalous howard » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:08 pm

You're welcome Andy.
I can see you now on the street corner.....
"Psst...hey, buddy...yeah you....wanna 1/4 oz of REAL Greek Seasoning? Vaccuum sealed. For you, since I kinda like ya....50 lbs of coal and it's yours. There ain't none o' this around for hundreds of miles and you look like a good Greek kid to me."

8greenbeans

#344 Post by 8greenbeans » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:15 pm

I began the arduous task of downsizing our home. I started with one of the guest rooms and got it down to the bare bones minimum and got it all scrubbed clean. Began a list of little repairs that need to be done in order to sell this place.
Spent a good part of the day searching the land for sale in the area where we want to move as well as cabin floor plans.
Why is moving such a huge task??
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

8greenbeans

#345 Post by 8greenbeans » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:58 pm

So very right you are there Andy! All the little accumulations sure make for a gargantuan task ahead lol
Though I have to say, the simple searching out land and floor plans is fairly exhausting as well. Part of me would just rather buckle down and do the physical labor. That has a set end (when it's all moved). But this searching feels never ending.......

I guess if the adage of one is none and two is one - then you had 6 tomato slicers :D

Alrighty folks I'm off to more canning, more searching, more herbal preparations, more dehydrating, and the task that neverends - more laundry!
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

8greenbeans

#346 Post by 8greenbeans » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:28 pm

8greenbeans wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:58 pm
Alrighty folks I'm off to more canning, more searching, more herbal preparations, more dehydrating, and the task that neverends - more laundry!
And this is all I've done (yes, these jobs are quite large jobs in and of themselves) on top of riding out to take a look see at some plots of land - will definitely need the real estate agent involved to truly locate which plot is which plot.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

8greenbeans

#347 Post by 8greenbeans » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:56 am

Andy F wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:41 pm
Wonderful! Be really careful on Zoning laws & RE trickery. I'm sure you're aware.
Unfortunately, yes, I am aware through personal experience. When we bought the land we are on currently, we thought it was wonderful - not as big as we'd have liked but fit what we needed at the time .... until it came time to till the garden. Then we discovered that the entire back acre where all the garden land was located was actually just a parking lot with a couple inches of soil on top that grass had taken over. They knew the main thing we were going to do was garden and yet they neglected to tell us anything regarding the fact that we wouldn't be able to. It took years to get most of the asphalt and concrete out and to start rebuilding the soil. We've done lots of raised beds because of the inability to garden in the ground as we'd always done. Among other things, like - they didn't have a permit to build the sunroom that sits practically on top of the septic tank so we very nearly got fined for it until some lady took pity on us, or that they some sort of rewired the house so that nothing makes sense and my electrician father about had heart failure mapping it all out, he very nearly didn't sleep for months for being so afraid the house was going to burn down... and so forth and so on.
Thankfully, we now have a good friend who is a RE agent and will be able to offset some of the greedy b@#^!ds trickery.

After church we cut down five bushes and two trees. One tree had fallen during a storm right on top of the apple tree. Technically, only part of the apple tree came down as there was still some good, unbroken, green limbs after we got the other tree off of it. Not as much damage to the fence as originally thought either.
I got the outside of one bio-reactor built. Ran into an issue with the u-shape nails I was trying to use to attach it to the pallet. So will need to go grab some proper ones tomorrow. Got all the dry hay pitched into the trough and then fluffed the rest to help it dry some. Closed off the young chicken pen to force them to roost with the older chickens in the large coop. Moved the duck pool to another part of the pasture.
Canned another batch of beef bone broth. I think I have 3 more bags of bones so that is three more batches left to do.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Bobble Hat

#348 Post by Bobble Hat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:02 pm

Dug up our carrots the other day and we had 62 reasonable sized ones which weighed in at just under 7lb12oz. Buried some in sand (as per John Seymour) and today we chopped the rest of them up into small pieces and boiled them up. Going to freeze them when theyve cooled down. :)

8greenbeans

#349 Post by 8greenbeans » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:23 pm

Andy F wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:33 pm
8greenbeans wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:56 am
Andy F wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:41 pm
Wonderful! Be really careful on Zoning laws & RE trickery. I'm sure you're aware.
Unfortunately, yes, I am aware through personal experience. When we bought the land we are on currently, we thought it was wonderful - not as big as we'd have liked but fit what we needed at the time .... until it came time to till the garden.
I kind of figured. Lucky us? Mine was in the front rose garden strip. Under the bushes was the 3 foot layer of old cement and bricks etc. It's where they dumped it after building about 3 homes, all covered with 16" of dirt. It filled my truck bed level to top edge. Took it to the dump. Took about 3 months to dig it up and truck it out. Then had to buy Top Soil....ugh.

Talked to The Kid, about the CalFIRE issues. He said no evacuation in his area in beach cities, but him & his daughter are having to use albuterol inhalers, but otherwise are all okay. I told him it was about time he sell out while the selling is somewhat """good""" and to buy some decent land. With The Kid, can only plant an idea and see if it sprouts. Not sure where he got his stubbornness from :?
Even more similar than previously thought! We have a bunch of dumped concrete down the back slope of the property. You couldn't see it when we bought it from all the trees but we knew it was only about 15 yards - all slope, all heavily wooded ... once we started clearing out to put the pasture fence in - welp, there were about 8 pieces of huge honking pieces of busted up concrete - so big that we wound up just leaving it for the goats to climb upon while clearing all the small stuff around it so that pasture grass could grow.
And kids, yeah, you can only plant ideas. We have a couple that are completely behind preparations (one used to practice eating as fast as possible so that no one could steal her food if there was a shtf scenario lol) ... but yet they don't do anything *to* prepare. Then again, they are poor college students AND they would work their hineys off here to help grow food if it ever came down to it. It's the ones that aren't awake in spite of their upbringing that worry me. *sigh*

MONDAY

Pitched dried hay into the trough and fluffed the still-wet again. Attached the bio-reactor to a pallet and attached the PVC pipe. Laid down landscaping fabric in walkway between raised bed and pallets and laid all the blocks for the raised bed. Broke off the small limbs of all the bushes and tree limbs & put those in the raised bed bottom. Began gathering wagons full of leaves for the bio-reactor. Began overhauling canned jars shelves. When I would send kids or even hubby downstairs to put jars away, they just put them willy nilly on shelves and some even just left them on the floor. It was a right mess.

TUESDAY

Worked outside gathering and cutting leaves for bio-reactor until it started raining then spread winter rye seed when it did. Made pizza crusts. Canned a batch of meat from the freezer. Ground herb leaves and mixed up some more herbals. Continued the overhaul of canning shelves.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

8greenbeans

#350 Post by 8greenbeans » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:26 pm

Bobble Hat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:02 pm
Dug up our carrots the other day and we had 62 reasonable sized ones which weighed in at just under 7lb12oz. Buried some in sand (as per John Seymour) and today we chopped the rest of them up into small pieces and boiled them up. Going to freeze them when theyve cooled down. :)
That was a pretty good haul there. Do y'all do any canning? I can my carrots both by themselves and in things like beef stew. Delicious!
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans