What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Andy F

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#641 Post by Andy F » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm reviewing history of Mid-West farming crises of 1980s.
Prior to that was the food farming crises in 1950s to 1960s.
It all had to do with excess taxation, predatory banking and loans and dropping prices on food crops.

8greenbeans

#642 Post by 8greenbeans » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:40 pm

Busy, busy, busy...

WEDNESDAY
Inside all day so drew out what I think are the next-to-final plans for the new watering system is going to be and made a list of items we need to purchase to complete this project. I think I have the “freeze prevention” figured out but not quite sure. Baked lots of bread. Got some more onions going in the dehydrator and canned a batch of meat. Did my weekly shopping. Nearly finished the organization of the canning shelves and did more work on the sewing room. The focus has gone from organization and moving to the new room, to packing and tossing.

THURSDAY
MrBean’s half day off so we tore through most of the garage throwing out a bunch of stuff and boxing a lot of it up. He made the decision that we are going to hire a moving company to move everything. While that’s all good and fine, I’m boxing a lot of it up. I don’t want strangers knowing some of the stuff we have.

FRIDAY
Made a trip to the rental house …. Let’s just say, I’m glad I’m selling so that I never have to put up with another renter again. This “sweet lady” allowed her ADULT son and daughter to trash the place. They said it would be move in ready by the morning of November 1 as a way of apologizing for only giving a two-week notice. Well, I’m just glad I didn’t have another renter ready to move in that morning as originally planned. A broken door, a broken window, a 5-gallon plastic bucket *melted* to my living room carpet where they put hot ash, holes cut out of my kitchen linoleum, chunks out of my counter, was melted down my wall and into my carpet, they smoked in the house and the contract was no-smoking, they had a dog and the contract said no pets, they left the fridge full, trash every where, the garage is full … and that’s just the beginning.

SATURDAY
Cut down a lot of the dead trees in the pasture and put them through the wood chipper along with the stuff we’d already cut down last weekend. Got the green house filled and the rest of the chipped onto the trailer for ease of taking to the coops. Still more wood to chip and more trees to cut down to chip but we ran out of time.

GOALS FOR THE COMING WEEK:
Finish the organization of the canning shelves.
Get all the herbs moved to pantry.
Continue canning freezer meat.
Get downstairs bathroom boxed or thrown away except bare bones (TP, Soap, Towel) and scrubbed clean.
Finish leaves for bio-reactor.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
USAF Mom. ANG Mom-in-law.
Army Daughter. Navy Niece.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Andy F

#643 Post by Andy F » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:03 am

This evening I am binge watching the trilogy, John Wick. They're LONG movies though, hard to sit still that long..
I rarely watch until all are released. I got all 3 for about $14.00 total. "New-Used" BluRay&DVDs.

The remnants of good Catholics are angry at Jay Dyer, and did an "Expose" :mrgreen: He's a "heretic" according to RCC.
IDK, I like Dyer's analyses of films, then I get in there and figure out what Jay is not saying. Cui Bono stuff, who is who.
It's been said that Jay Dyer is Ted Turner (eugenicist) grandson. No way to know.

Adapt2030 in his recent video, he is finally addressing hungry mobs.
Problem is, people are too PC, and that increases their likelihood of being a victim...

Only have 3 - 5 gallon buckets to fill. SAM all done. Thought about getting 10 more soon.
Ordered the last copper tubing I needed to finish Project.

Andy F

#644 Post by Andy F » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:32 pm

A good reasoning friend said this, "However, the next time I went surfing at Montauk I noticed that the very same rock I had to look out for at low water (spring tides) in 1964, the year I started surfing, was awash in the same exact way now, in 2006.

If the ice has been melting for half a century, why is the Montauk shoreline the same? I went home and looked up the Montauk Sea Level Trends on the NOAA website… and the rest is ‘history’… or rather the lies of history."

He said a lot more, but that's the gist. You have to know Allan's Hollywood film insider's history and surfing travels. He's not the only one who's documented no change in sea levels, remember the 13 min ocean front from 1968 in the film Planet of the Apes, comparing to 2010?

Anyways, I'm off to see the wizardry, of John Wick #2. I fell asleep last night barely 10 mins into it.
So much for binging :mrgreen:
Slow cooker started at 0300 Black Eyed Peas, for lunch & dinner! YUM!

WHY do people sign up for an account but never post?
Answer: The Networking threads are PRIVATE, so they have to get an account to read what is written there :D

Tom Kleffman

#645 Post by Tom Kleffman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:34 pm

As 8greenbeans said: Canning freezer meat. Trying to reduce dependence on freezers, though the whole world is becoming one quickly here. Have one new deer this year so far that I did put in the freezer, while moving extra (from last or prior year) to pressure canned jars. Prime cuts have all been eaten a while ago. Mostly shoulders and hocks which are great for potting.

Before the top layer of the ground froze, I did get in about 300 cloves of garlic, which is a better amount than last year. We eat a lot of it.

Have been shelling dry beans. I grow almost all pole beans, so harvesting is not real efficient (by hand) but with spine issues, keeps me from having to stoop down to pick. For the shelling I do not do that efficiently as well, because I select for seed, only the best developed/highest seed count pods for every variety. With the cool summer, Scarlet Runner did best, plant to production. 6 plants (yeah, wish was more) produced over a half gallon of dried seeds. Most summers it is a fraction of that because flowers abort when daytime temps get over about 80. not too many of those days this last year. Total dried bean production will end up being about 15 gallons. Just a few grocery bags of dried pods to work through.

I am going to pick up a few neighbor's paper lawn bags they have out to be picked up, to mulch beneath my own trees in my yard. I have 230 grafted apples and pears in seedling beds (just spaced 8" apart) of which 130 are going up to my orchard next spring, as well as the mature cherries and apple trees in my yard which can use the extra nutrition and insulation the leaves provide.

Coming to the end of all the things planned for. Coming up on the season where I work on plans.

Tom

Andy F

#646 Post by Andy F » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:46 pm

Guten Morgen Sonnenscheins!

Today is playtime! Another new EL project, among many. Been thinking on it for couple of weeks now, then I dreamed about it a few nights ago.
12VDC6A lithium battery,12VDC auto seat heater pads 19" x 10", a 50W 50 Ohm flat 3" Rheostat that fits nicely inside a cat food tin and a plastic lid. Making a wearable Vest body heater using a fairly new vest. EDIT: 5 Ohm 25 Watt Rheostat.

I'm almost all caught up on Seal A Meal and the 5 gallon buckets. Still have pancake mix to seal, 2 buckets to fill, will order Black Beans 70 lbs soon.
I have a few pounds of beans and rice stored :mrgreen:
Looking at some fall planting plans. Not sure yet what I can plant.

Waiting for colder weather so I can make & bake Hardtack. Have a lot of lbs of flour on hand. Not sure how much hardtack I want to make.
Here's a fellow who lives in Phoenix AZ, How To Make Hardtack recipe https://survivorsfortress.com/how-to-make-hardtack/

Sometime today I'll watch John Wick chapter 3. Those are ~2 hour long films, hard to sit that long when wanting to be busy & moving.
Carry on!
Last edited by Andy F on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basquesheepherder

#647 Post by Basquesheepherder » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:30 pm

On the advice of David Dubyne, Ice Age Farmer and of course myself: Bought 200 lbs. of wheat, canned 65 jars of meat, canned tomato sauce, bought 40 jars of tomato sauce/plus paste, and am now turning 20 pounds of flour into pasta that will be frozen. This is just the last 20 days and is added onto the things I have been prepping for over 10 years. I plan on storing more wheat, and oats. All of my 6 gallon buckets of grains go under my bed. There's a lot of room under a queen size bed for food storage and this keeps my apartment from looking like a warehouse. Since grain will likely rise in price (unless next year is a boom year) or become scarce, I will can more meat over the Thanksgiving holiday. People, don't forget the cheap turkey prices after Thanksgiving.

Andy F

#648 Post by Andy F » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Basquesheepherder wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:30 pm
On the advice of David Dubyne, Ice Age Farmer and of course myself: Bought 200 lbs. of wheat, canned 65 jars of meat, canned tomato sauce, bought 40 jars of tomato sauce/plus paste, and am now turning 20 pounds of flour into pasta that will be frozen. I'm doing lot of Hardtack next week. It needs to be more compact for me. Running out of room. This is just the last 20 days and is added onto the things I have been prepping for over 10 years. I plan on storing more wheat, and oats. Consider pinto & other dry beans, also rice, online orders at Walmart are 1-2 day free delivery. All of my 6 gallon buckets of grains go under my bed. There's a lot of room under a queen size bed for food storage and this keeps my apartment from looking like a warehouse. Since grain will likely rise in price (unless next year is a boom year) or become scarce, I will can more meat over the Thanksgiving holiday. People, don't forget the cheap turkey prices after Thanksgiving. Good Idea. I got the hard candy after Halloween. It's still not too late, they're good for quick energy. Maybe not the best, but will keep people alive until can find food.

8greenbeans

#649 Post by 8greenbeans » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:34 am

Tom ~ so jealous of the beans. Ours simply did not do much this season. I, personally, eat tons of garlic - the fam, only when I season their food or force it down their throat when they are sick lol

Basquesheepherder, do you have a mill for your wheat as well? (I'm assuming you do!!) I began baking my bread a long time ago but this past spring I began milling my wheat for my bread baking. I have an electric Wonder Mill for my daily use but I also have a manual Wonder Mill just in case. I have a goal to make pasta to keep as well but to dehydrate rather than to freeze. After we had an upright freezer go kaput on us nearly a decade ago and we lost nearly 400 pounds of meat, we simply use the freezer as little as possible (we were able to save some of it by canning and making jerky, but not nearly fast enough before most of it was lost). This is why I go on a canning frenzy every time we get a deer, buy a cow/pig, butcher some birds (chickens, ducks, turkeys), or go fishing.

Andy, don't forget that hard candy is also good for dropping blood glucose levels. This can happen in people who are not diabetic or hypoglycemic if they start working more than they are eating, until their bodies get used to the new normal.

Most of my week was dealing with insurance companies and arranging various companies to come out to the rental to get it fixed. A big fat time suck in which I could have been doing much more valuable projects instead of driving back and forth 2 hours each way. However, in a way, this is a very valuable project since it is what will get us the land we so desperately desire... so I'll try to change my outlook.

My short list:
During my many hours sitting at the rental awaiting people, I made a list of 31 meals we really enjoy, then parceled that off into what could be canned/dehydrated ahead of time x12 to give us 12 months worth of ready-to-eat meals - for supper only that is
Continued canning freezer meats
Continued working on the greenhouse and compost areas
Made a new batch of elderberry syrup
Made up batches of switchel and ginger lemonade and hibiscus tea .... these remain in our fridge throughout the winter along with the typical sweet tea
Started a new batch of kombucha
Baked breads
Am in the middle of a home security update, which I wasn't planning on doing but Dad got the hankering so I'm dealing with it

Needless to say, the particular goals I set for this past week were not accomplished but other things were accomplished in their place so I won't call it a total loss lol

Celebrate the Corps' Birthday with a few hundred other area Marines
Finish organizing the canning shelves
Finish moving herbs to pantry
Continue canning freezer meat
Completely finish one bio-reactor & start on raised bed compost
Downstairs Bathroom boxed and down to bare bones (TP, Soap, Towel)
Get bedroom office transferred to downstairs office
Get upstairs catwalk cleaned and organized and boxed where possible (half our library is up there)
Get the skeleton of the new watering system moved to proper place
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
USAF Mom. ANG Mom-in-law.
Army Daughter. Navy Niece.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Andy F

#650 Post by Andy F » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:49 am

8greenbeans wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:34 am
After we had an upright freezer go kaput on us nearly a decade ago and we lost nearly 400 pounds of meat, we simply use the freezer as little as possible (we were able to save some of it by canning and making jerky, but not nearly fast enough before most of it was lost). This is why I go on a canning frenzy every time we get a deer, buy a cow/pig, butcher some birds (chickens, ducks, turkeys), or go fishing. Probably the best educational thing that could have happened, yet expensive. After my fridge stories, I chose to go over a year without one. Partner (annoyingly) just bought a 1.1 CF mini fridge. However, I still know how to make good food without relying on fridge. I believe your experience was a good learning tool. Washing vs not washing dishes was another long term experiment, which I did not die from :mrgreen:
Not knowing how to do those things, can mean not surviving. On the flip side, do try.

Andy, don't forget that hard candy is also good for dropping blood glucose levels. This can happen in people who are not diabetic or hypoglycemic if they start working more than they are eating, until their bodies get used to the new normal. There's a valid medical reason for that type of metabolic issue.

Most of my week was dealing with insurance companies and arranging various companies to come out to the rental to get it fixed. A big fat time suck in (when doing that sort of donkeycratic mess, isn't it always?which I could have been doing much more valuable projects instead of driving back and forth 2 hours each way. However, in a way, this is a very valuable project since it is what will get us the land we so desperately desire... so I'll try to change my outlook.

My short smart list:
Am in the middle of a home security update, which I wasn't planning on doing but Dad, who is very smart & has good intuition likely based on the past, got the hankering so I'm dealing with it

Needless to say, the particular goals I set for this past week were not accomplished but other things were accomplished in their place so I won't call it a total loss lol Having dealt with long term immobility in the past, I'd see it as though you're doing just - FINE.

Celebrate the Corps' Birthday with a few hundred other area Marines HOOAH!

Get upstairs catwalk cleaned and organized and boxed where possible (half our library is up there)
We never thought of moving days when we carried a few thousand heavy books to the upstairs library. :D