What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Tom Kleffman

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#371 Post by Tom Kleffman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:33 pm

<grin> took my kids to the local grocery store to show them how people act when they realize they are not prepared for anything. Kind of fun to watch.

Diogenese 3

#372 Post by Diogenese 3 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:10 pm

Potatoes are coming up in texas ,Asparagus will soon be more than we can eat so i am digging out the canner , we are eating over wintered brokoli and cabbage , and i have put cloches over the strawberies to get a earlier crop ,and over the weekend we canned eight pints of redbud jelly , noaa gives a frost friday night so shoveling soil over the potatoes will be my to do friday job , is spring in TX .

Tom Kleffman

#373 Post by Tom Kleffman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:33 pm

Going to do a pressure canning run on venison from the deep freeze, and finishing cooking down maple sap in the kitchen.

Bobble Hat

#374 Post by Bobble Hat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:17 pm

Spring here in the UK. Just planted up some spuds and put a load of seeds in trays in the greenhouse ready to be planted out when they germinate.

TexasHomesteader

#375 Post by TexasHomesteader » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:32 pm

Diogenese 3 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:10 pm
Potatoes are coming up in texas ,Asparagus will soon be more than we can eat so i am digging out the canner , we are eating over wintered brokoli and cabbage , and i have put cloches over the strawberies to get a earlier crop ,and over the weekend we canned eight pints of redbud jelly , noaa gives a frost friday night so shoveling soil over the potatoes will be my to do friday job , is spring in TX .
Here's another Texas update from a bit further east:

I'm growing my taters in 15 gal grow bags. I've staggered them a bit so we have a longer period for fresh. First bag was doing well until some critter dug in it. Now I've got the bags more secure so no critter damage.

I harvested a large head of cabbage for our St. Paddy's dinner the other week. Peach trees have bloomed and are now setting fruit as has one of my pear trees. Not going to get anything out of the apple trees I planted the other year but they are growing. We've got wild blackberries (Dew Berries) at the back of our property which bloomed vigorously last week and now my thornless blackberries in the main food forest are blooming along with a few blueberry bushes I've planted. Last weekend I planted 14 elderberry bushes I grew from cuttings and they look good. Tomato and pepper seeds are growing well. My sweet potato slips are growing slowly but coming.

Loads to do but I'm excited to get more in the ground.

gadget

#376 Post by gadget » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:32 am

We had a bud killing frost last night so I wrapped the small apricot tree and put in some old C9 Christmas lights. I'm sure the neighbors where not surprised something weird to see in my yard(weekly occurrence) This tree has some amazing apricots, I'm not about to loose them this year. I had allot of bud damage on my big apricot tree. This one looked good when I unwrapped it this morning.

Tom Kleffman

#377 Post by Tom Kleffman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:51 am

interesting solution, but I assume it worked

gadget

#378 Post by gadget » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:43 am

Tom Kleffman wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:51 am
interesting solution, but I assume it worked
It did, but next year it will be to big to do this again. My larger apricot had some damage on the blossoms but I think I will still get some fruit set, maybe lost 50%. Last year was a good crop. We canned 120 qts of apricot jam.

MarkG

#379 Post by MarkG » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:15 pm

Stocking up on seeds for when the weather becomes good enough to plant. Looking into growing indoors or with a winter-resistant greenhouse out in the back yard for later in the year.

Not a lot of land here, but we could probably grow enough veg to not have to go out to the grocery stores for it in future.

Tom Kleffman

#380 Post by Tom Kleffman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:06 pm

Found a couple of clusters of garlic in the garden that I missed harvesting the heads last year in July. I dug them up, separated the plants, and plugged in 70 of them as edging to garden beds I am prepping for planting in a few weeks. I also gave 50+ to neighbors to plan in their own gardens as they were outside this weekend working on their own garden prep things.