What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Kink

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#261 Post by Kink » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Completely know that happy feet feeling Andy, when I was stuck in bed for two months with a herniated L4 disc that felt like a beer trap down my sciatic nerve in my right leg all I wanted to do was run. Then had surgery, and again was bed ridden for a couple weeks due to complications all the time just begging to go for a walk in the woods. Let yourself heal! I hope it starts to feel better ASAP for you.

Finished cutting, splitting and hauling the cherry today, 3rd wood crib is looking nice and red :). Still have some additional cherry to cut but it's 10ft in the air so may leave it go or see if I can use a ladder.

First Haul:
rsz_0312191149b.jpg
rsz_0312191149b.jpg (141.89 KiB) Viewed 773 times
Second Haul:
rsz_0312191216.jpg
rsz_0312191216.jpg (159.86 KiB) Viewed 773 times
Third Haul:
rsz_0312191353.jpg
rsz_0312191353.jpg (169.71 KiB) Viewed 773 times
Third wood crib:

Kink

#262 Post by Kink » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:09 pm

Can't wait to see pics of your fire starter, may have to try making one myself then :o. Yeah it's a lot of firewood but with Elew mentioning needed two of those sized cherry trees to get through one winter, I don't even think I have any saved yet in the greater scheme of things plus I'm a complete novice on fires so I need as much insurance wood as possible. Plus it takes 6 months to a year to season firewood from my understanding so the sooner I can get it curing the better :).

Going to try getting as much of that cherry as I can cut today so i can get a tarp over the third crib for the storm tomorrow. Going to try my best to get to that freezer finally and clean it out/seal what I can today as well. Keep keeping on everyone :D

Kink

#263 Post by Kink » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:12 pm

lol that's Fn awesome!! I wanna see it in action :D

dirtmurphy

#264 Post by dirtmurphy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:26 pm

Yesterday I got more layer feed and azomite. Today I'm going to put the azomite in my various composts and mix some into potting soil. I plant carrots in containers and they require a high mineral content. I need to keep some back for more container plantings and future compost teas but I'm also going to apply it to beds and hopefully our little orchard.
Hmm. Maybe I'll go ahead and brew up some compost tea for the seedlings and mature greenhouse plants today. I think they would probably like that. :D
I've spent a couple of days reading about cover cropping for pollinators and other beneficials. I can hardly wait to start!
Oh well, time to get busy.

Kink

#265 Post by Kink » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:53 pm

It's nice you mentioned growing in containers Murphy, that's actually what I'm planning on doing for all my crops this year (my only hands on experience is growing indoors). My question is do you slowly up-pot them or do you place them in their final pot the first transplant? How I always did it indoors was go from a red party cup --> 1 gallon --> 3 gallon --> 5 gallon --> 10 gallon, I do this as it promoted faster growth letting the root ball reach its limits then giving it more room if that makes sense.

Today is absolutely beautiful so I'm just doing some yard work and other general stuff and enjoying it

dirtmurphy

#266 Post by dirtmurphy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Hey Kink! I'm glad you're going to do containers :D. I do a lot of containers. I don't even put peppers in the ground anymore but I've never had any luck with tomatoes so they still go in beds. Yeah, I do size up but it may not be good to let a seedling root fully develop in the pot. It may slow down growth because when the root hits its limit, it'll send signals to itself telling it to stop putting on root mass. The reason we start seeds in small cells is because the soil has to be kept evenly moist and that's easier to accomplish when we're dealing with a small surface area. I like containers because I can put plants in odd places and then bring them in to overwinter if I want. The major drawback is the increased water consumption so I also mulch my containers and mix in vermicompost. If you can situate your plants so they get some afternoon shade, that should also slow evaporation and transpiration losses.

Kink

#267 Post by Kink » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:55 pm

I don't think so, Andy. I have the full video of the shooting here (WARNING: NOT SAFE FOR WORK):
https://si.kohlchan.net/b/src/1552636385003.mp4

You can see him kill every last person. It's brutal. No mercy, he shot each person 4 or more times.

Thank you for your advice Murphy, duly noted good point about why we start in small containers for the seeds. Hopefully I can have a couple plants in the ground this year but we'll have to see with the weather.

Not much for plans today as there's 20-30mph winds outside, maybe I'll clean another shelf off for food storage.

Update: Andy is always right

Kink

#268 Post by Kink » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:48 pm

I started work on a simple/inexpensive seed starter this morning since I remembered I had a new 85w CFL bulb :D

Supplies I'll be using:
  • Sterlite Tote

85w 5500K CFL Bulb + a 26W 6500K CFL to light behind the 85w

120mm PC fan + old 12v laptop charger

2x 27 socket Adapters

Computer filter Mesh + grill for exhaust fan

2x Wire Nuts

(Optionally) You can use an emergency mylar blanket to line the tote for better use of light but I may be skipping this or just using reflective material behind the lights.
Exhaust is going on the side of the tote with the the socket near the top, then I'm making two intake holes near the bottom on the opposite side of the tote to give me passive cooling and additional control over temp/RH by allowing me to block one or both of them.

Kink

#269 Post by Kink » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:15 pm

Great ideas for the project andy, definitely for the future upgrades as I can only afford what I have on hand atm. Seed starter is pretty much finished just have some finishing touches to make. It's nice and sunny/warm today too so going to try taking advantage of that as well :)

Kink

#270 Post by Kink » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Finished the electrical/hanging, etc stuff of the seed starter. Currently have it sitting with the 85w on, and 2x 26w CFL bulbs. As well as the fan is on. 137w Total should be more than sufficient to sprout and even take them past seedling stage.
Waiting to see how hot it gets in the garage with the fan so i can make adjustments if needed.

Lights under lid, inside tote:
Top of tote:
Exhaust Fan:
Intake Holes w/ mesh filters:
Inside tote w/ Hygrometer: