Spoke with a farmer yesterday.

Natty Bumppo

Spoke with a farmer yesterday.

#1 Post by Natty Bumppo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:51 pm

I live in the middle of corn country in the most SW portion of Indiana, surrounded by a few thousand acres of fields.

Last harvest the corn and beans did well but many farmers suffered as many in the world with the wheat harvest. We are to far south to grow the hard wheat (of course that may change in the next few years).

Last harvest one of the many farmers I speak with said "I don't care if I ever plant wheat again in my life."

So, I spoke with a farmer yesterday and mentioned to him that I expect longer winters and wetter springs. You would do better shooting yourself in the foot than tell these multi generational farmers (which I was once) about the GSM. If they bite on the conversation then of course yes I would speak with them.

Bottom line, I was told "...if it is any wetter than last spring, we will never get into the fields."

Which should warn us all that if the farmers are not able to get into the fields now (and yes he was right about last spring) then food shortages and price increases will come much faster than many anticipate. They won't be able to get into the fields for the next 5 years at least.

Farside

Re: Spoke with a farmer yesterday.

#2 Post by Farside » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:46 pm

The issue seems to be the ability to get these huge machines into the fields when the soil is so soft, which means spring planting is delayed.

I think Fukuoka style seed balls deposited in late fall or early spring while the ground is hard / frozen might be the solution here. Problem is nobody is developing this technique for industrial scale.

It also means covering the seedballs under hay mulch (in the traditional technique) but it has been decades since anyone has revisited it.

The reason corn isn't planted earlier is because of birds. When the corn kernel is encased in a ball of soil, this is no longer a problem.

I think it is worth investigating this on an acre plot, or even 4 variations on 1/4 acre plots to see if you can devise a technique that works. You might end up saving a lot of lives. Or keep families on their land at the very least.

Natty Bumppo

Re: Spoke with a farmer yesterday.

#3 Post by Natty Bumppo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Yes that would be a good thing. However you are correct that the seed balls being done on an individual basis with extremely small plots.

Now, what will save a lot of lives is my newly acquired wheat.

A rich business man locally had planted wheat that was found in the pyramids of Egypt.

Sadly, the farmer did not know how to de-husk it in his combine. It was placed into 2000# gaylord boxes, left in a warehouse for a few years where rats got into it.

He gave it to a friend of mine and together we have 22,000# of this ancient wheat that has been through a few GSM.

4000# (2 boxes) we found were good (not rat infested). We both planted some (raked it in husk and all). My friend a couple acres and I a couple small plots. We did discover that it is winter wheat. We have some set back for the future and what is planted, plan on having it threshed this spring. Hopefully that will give us some good seed.

If we can in time convince some farmer to plant it on a larger scale as the GSM intensifies in this area, then that will save some lives.

The remaining grain is well liked by our sheep and chickens.