Estimate the needs

What did you do to prepare today?
Hori

Estimate the needs

#1 Post by Hori » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:27 am

Hi there..

My first step is to estimate what I (we as family) need to be self sufficient.

In my case it is easy, I am on keto/OMAD diet for almost two years, I know exactly what I eat, now I have to estimate how much do i need to grow to be self sufficient.

Some figures (myself only)

Onion: 3 big onions or 7 shallots / week
Carrot: 1 /day
Broccoli: 1 /week
Bell Pepper: 1/2 /day
Sauerkraut: 1 cup / day
Microgreens: ~3 cups / day
Garlic: 1 clove / day
Eggs: 2 chicken eggs or 8..10 quail eggs / day
Butter: ~50g (1.7oz) / day
Meat: ~200g (7oz) /day (pork, quail, chicken, duck, beef)

What I am going to add to my diet is (all from my garden):
Beetroot: 2 / week
Swiss chard: 1 cup / day
Black Spanish radish: 2 / week
Radish: 2 / day
Chive
Pak Choi (tbd)

For now I am self sufficient with microgreens, eggs and quail meat.

Already planted: broccoli, carrot, onion, beetroot, Swiss chard, radish, chive and garlic.
Black Spanish radish & Pak Choi seeds OTW.

I'm going to add some broilers (meat), ducks (eggs, meat, fat) and gees (meat, fat), thinking about rabbits..

This season/year I am also going to learn how to save all seeds I need, for obvious reason...

.... to be continued

Hori.

Hori

Re: Estimate the needs

#2 Post by Hori » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:54 am

Today I planted ~120 beets (seedlings), there is ~50 more in small bags

Already have:
10 broccoli in the ground and 12 in containers
25 onions
3 garlics
carrot seedlings
chives (more than I need)
Swiss chard 9 seedlings 10" and ~20 small (2")
Radish, horse radish, sunflower, amaranth, strawberries, gooseberries, black/red currant, blackberries.... not much but for one family should do.

I also ordered 1kg broccoli seeds for microgreens - as broccoli needs a lot of space to grow as a plant, microgreesns could be a good alternative as they are 10 times more nutritious than fully gown plant.

Still thinking about seeds self sufficiency.. any ideas?

Hori

Hori

#3 Post by Hori » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:35 pm

Not much today, our trusty postman brought Black Spanish Radish seeds so I sowed 40 to small pots, planted some shallots for seeds... lazy Friday...

gadget

#4 Post by gadget » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:54 am

I'm going to try growing some pak choi this year, or as we call it here in the states bok choy. It think its a good idea to expand out and try something new every year in the garden.

Hori

#5 Post by Hori » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:58 am

16 quails hatched last weekend.
Plan/step for this week is to build a new/big incubator/hatcher for 154 eggs.
I'm going to have minimum 15 hens (have 10) for egg production and hatch ~100 quails every 4 weeks for meat and to replace older birds.

Tom Kleffman

#6 Post by Tom Kleffman » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:49 pm

Just as an FYI, I believe Black Spanish are a winter radish, which means you do not plant them until after the summer solstice, so unless you are south of the equator, I hope you saved some seed, or they will bolt and never give you a sized radish.

Tom

Hori

#7 Post by Hori » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:25 pm

Tom Kleffman wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:49 pm
Just as an FYI, I believe Black Spanish are a winter radish, which means you do not plant them until after the summer solstice, so unless you are south of the equator, I hope you saved some seed, or they will bolt and never give you a sized radish.

Tom
Thanks Tom,

Yes, I have 300+ seeds to plant later.
Not sure if it is a winter radish, description says:
Plant them as soon as the ground thaws in the spring, and you'll have radishes in less than a month. Plant a small crop every two weeks until midsummer for a continuous supply.

Black winter radish seeds already ordered.

About the seeds.. I think it is very important to be self sufficient, it doesn't matter if I have greenhouse, garden and so on if I can't buy seeds/seedlings.
I hope it isn't to late to build my own seed bank.

Hori

Tom Kleffman

#8 Post by Tom Kleffman » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:08 pm

It is a winter radish. Big thing about them is that if harvested in late fall (planted early July) before a hard freeze, they keep in a root cellar for 6 months easily.

Tom

The black radish is a root vegetable of the family Brassicaceae and is a variety of winter radish. It is also called Black Spanish radish or Erfurter radish. The edible root has a tough black skin and white flesh. There are round and elongated varieties. Wikipedia

Hori

#9 Post by Hori » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:10 pm

OK, Thanks again....

well, in that case 300 seeds have to wait until June.. + 700 OTW.. it's going to be lot of radish from summer to winter.

BTW, I gave some leaves from regular radish and mustard microgreens to quails, they love it.

Hori.

Hori

#10 Post by Hori » Tue May 19, 2020 9:01 am

Most seedlings already planted into the ground, greenhouse moved to chicken yard.
I'm going to use it to accommodate a few hundreds quails before they grow up enough to send them to 'winter camp'..