Lonnie

This is where you introduce yourself.
Lonnie

Lonnie

#1 Post by Lonnie » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:04 am

Greetings!

I stumbled across a mention of the GSM and Christian's website just a few days ago. Listened to a few of the podcasts and . . . . here I am. I have short-term memory issues so I've forgotten most of the explanations. But I do remember that it involves empirical evidence, MATH and absolutely no political browbeating or control freaking. This is unlike some other climate change theories I could name. :roll: I'm old enough to barely remember the 70's ice age warnings, but was too young to understand them at the time. I can see now how a lot of the clues I have noticed over the years that are now intensifying rapidly would play into the conspiracies discussed here. It makes sense to me.

I've "known" for a long time that challenges were coming, I just didn't know what form they would take. Over the years I've tried to educate myself about emergency preparedness, food storage & production, self-sufficiency, organic gardening, permaculture, chickens, hydroponics, sprouting, fermenting, pre-industrial living techniques and the like. I've dabbled in many different things over the years with mixed success, but I've tried to focus on learning from the "failures" to turn them into learning opportunities. My current opportunities are bindweed, wild blackberry vines, gophers and arsenic in our well.

One of my biggest interests and frustrations is energy efficiency and alternative energy on a homesteading scale. It is frustrating because I "know" many things are possible, but I can't remember anything technical that I read long enough to understand it let alone implement it. I feel like I've got a 100 Terabyte brain with a 1kb operating system. I would really like to learn about these things because we need to replace our house eventually and would like to design it to be efficient and minimally on-grid. Also with lighting features (sun room?) that would enhance efforts at indoor gardening.

I am just now coming out of many years of intensely caring for needy, difficult family members and I'm exhausted. Household of 7 (at it's largest) has finally whittled itself down to 3. Whew! Still doing some family care-taking, but none of them live with me so I can handle that. Hoping to recover at least some of my brain and energy.

Now I'm trying to take the time to heal physically from several health issues, recharge and mentally/spiritually regroup for the next focus my life will be taking. The vision is coming together and I'm pretty sure the kinds of things discussed here will be a big part of it. I look forward to learning from all of you and hope to contribute as well.

I can start with two questions:

1. How do you grow spirulina?

2. Why have I been invited to join a gamers' version of skype? I've never done regular skype and my last gaming experience was the 8 bit Nintendo. Am I missing something important or can I just stick with the forums?

Oh -- and thank you to Christian for starting this site and for all who have participated so far!

Lonnie

Re: Lonnie

#2 Post by Lonnie » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:22 am

Thank you Andy! I'm looking forward to fine-tuning "the plan" and getting and giving encouragement. 8-)

Lonnie

Re: Lonnie

#3 Post by Lonnie » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 pm

Hi Andy!

Thanks for encouraging me to remember to come here. My mind doesn't hold much at any given time, so it's easy for me to let even important things slide. Later I wonder "that was important, why didn't I do it"?

We just got back from a short "vacation". (It wasn't) Between that and other distractions I'm beginning to wonder if there is such a thing as a one-track life for me. :roll: But I'm going to keep on working at it. I'm okay with even slow progress because to stand still is the same as regressing.

Good news is my sis-in-law did not let my indoor plants (mostly herbs) die. Looking forward to learning what I can and can"t keep going through the fall and winter. OH, also, while we were gone my younger son came and ripped out my huge disappointment (and I do mean "huge") of a wisteria vine along with the blackberries that were taking over the south end of the house. Next experiment for that area is hardy kiwi! it's sunny, but sheltered. Finally found a male to go with females I have in pots. I will probably build up the soil and plant clover or alfalfa or something before I transplant in the spring.

I don't remember where the "thank you" button is, but I'm thankful just the same.

Lonnie